Sitting out in tournament

K

karmakoumas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, what do you think about the strategy used by some player in tournament who sit out after reaching a certain number of ships .:driver:

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of tournament is it? If its a satellite (ie same pay for all finishers) and they are likely to finish in the money then yes I think its a great idea. If its a regular tournament and they are happy with just making the minimum amount of cash then its a great idea for them. But if you want to get to the final table and mke the "big bucks" I don't see it as a viable way to do that.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe ppl do it when they have to concentrate on other tables. It makes some sense for me, if they do it in satellites. I would never do it myself thought.:)

R

ramignis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
those who need money sit out. and who has a decent Bank will play their game without fear of being knocked out of the tournament on bubble.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

I don't like to sit out in any tournaments. I like to see every hand possible every time I play in a tournament.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's happened to me where I have had so many things going on (other tournaments/websites) that I don't notice I've timed out and sitting out and completely forget I'm still in, especially if I'm concentrating on a bigger game.

By the way I have noticed on iPoker in particular that approaching the bubble, when a sitout is all in they nearly always seem to win the hand. It can really tilt players, especially if there is some idiot throwing all in every hand. It should be the same as pokerstars when an all in sitout has no chance of the pot.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, what do you think about the strategy used by some player in tournament who sit out after reaching a certain number of ships .:driver:

What kind of tournament is it? If its a satellite (ie same pay for all finishers) and they are likely to finish in the money then yes I think its a great idea. If its a regular tournament and they are happy with just making the minimum amount of cash then its a great idea for them. But if you want to get to the final table and mke the "big bucks" I don't see it as a viable way to do that.

I agree with what roger said, this is a GREAT point about satellites!

Otherwise there is pretty much no real merit to sitting out with a big stack, those chips could be put to use and anyone who sits out during such an opportunity must lack some self discipline.

I can understand if they are afraid to lose the stack, but a real poker player is playing to win as opposed to playing not to lose, and so they should be in the game! :joyman:

K

karmakoumas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sitting out

i think it kill the fun because we play to play not only to win money and those who play to only make money they don't survive a long time and loose there money without pleasure.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I hate people who sit out bit I do know why some do it. Well at least one. My friend does it all the time just before the money bubble all the time. He finds it more important to just make the money than going for the win.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each has different reasons. It happens that the circumstances of the player change and you need to retire.

G

gryllz_wins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting out should never be a voluntary action by the player.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love to play poker, and I play till the end of my tournament, but sometimes if game is to late and I have go to work tomorrow, when I reach money I go on n sit out and go to sleep.

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, personally I never sitted out in tournaments. I prefer having the chance to get strong hands. I do play tighter, when I'm in the lead and fold more frequently. But just sitting out... This gives opponents possibility to collect more chips and rank you down, additionally if blind structure is turbo or hyperturbo, you shouldnt be in a paralysis mode for too long.. Otherwise you are forced to play more loose in order to not get blinded out.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, people mostly sit out because:

a) They lose their internet connection.
b) Something unexpected comes up, which prevent them from finishing the tournament.
c) They did not think about, how long the tournament was going to last before buying in.

Personally I sit out now and then to go in the toilet or even eat a quick dinner. But then I come back, as soon as I am ready to play again, and I never miss more than 1-2 orbits.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I much prefer the ones that sit out, than the ones that stall and fold every hand when approaching the money.

K

karmakoumas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

hello, i think that some player are just sitting out in tournament because they can win a little bit of money by entering in the number of paid places.
but it's not a 100% sure tactics and you loose the pleasure of playing poker.

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its not smart to sitting out plus its not an option while I am playing my tournaments.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this a lot in freerolls especially. The seem to go all in every hand and try to double or triple up and then they sit out knowing they should cash. I see this a lot at 888 where your hands are still live even when sitting out so you can still win hands even if you’re not there. I guess people have figured it out and only need to spend a few minutes to either get a stack or bust and then go on with their day.

The good thing is that you can get their chips back especially when they are in the blinds and to the left of you.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sit out on those 10k deep field freebuy on ARC.

You play for fun, but end up being in the top 1,000. Pay jump will be $5 if you last another 2 hours. First place is like $1k but still have 999 players to beat. It is 2am.

I am going to bed.

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is used by very bad players, and that it is possible to exploit them when they connect, because a decent player would at least play much tight and not disconnect.