Sitting On A Big Stack Late In The Tournament

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you choose to play a big stack when you are in the late stages of a tournament? Do you tighten up like a rock? Do you loosen up your starting requirements? Do you bet lo-ball, or do you pummel the shorter stack with your big stack?

Why do you play the way you do? I would like to hear from members who have made it pretty at in tournaments and how and why you change your game. What are the benefits to playing a big stack the way you do? What are the draw backs?

Zer0-0uts

J

johnathan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Big stacks

for me when I played live tourney, with bigstacks when someone raise and i have decent cards i would always all-in to steal the blinds and ante. If no one bet, i would 5bet to steal blinds

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On big stack You should be aggresive ;) but be carfull and be aggresive in the best moments, when you know that Your oponent will fold or when You have good hand ;)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me when I played live tourney, with bigstacks when someone raise and i have decent cards i would always all-in to steal the blinds and ante. If no one bet, i would 5bet to steal blinds
How do you 5 bet if no one has bet?

Or do you mean you bet 5x BB when you steal the blinds? If so, why are you betting so much just to steal? You can drop that down to 2.5-3x BB when stealing, which is just as effective and a lot better for you if you get 3bet.

R

rushdaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experiences in tournaments while in the postion you have stated above ( large stack in tournament) I have the most with playing NON-Aggressive style and i start to look ahead for a final 3 placement in the $ at the least. I mean if i came across a monster hand like AA i would play it. When i did try to steal blinds and be an aggressive type player, i usually would get forced into a 50/50 chance with someone either calling from the BB from postion or the person was sitting on fire. I think the best strategy would prepare for the 1st 2nd or 3 place finish. just my 2 cents

B

blackbill44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with big stack in a tournament you must try stealling blinds and play cheap hands preflop! minimize the risk of lose chips!

A

alextepi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you choose to play a big stack when you are in the late stages of a tournament? Do you tighten up like a rock? Do you loosen up your starting requirements? Do you bet lo-ball, or do you pummel the shorter stack with your big stack?

Why do you play the way you do? I would like to hear from members who have made it pretty at in tournaments and how and why you change your game. What are the benefits to playing a big stack the way you do? What are the draw backs?

Zer0-0uts

You have to choose when to be aggressive for trying to steel the blinds. beware of position and others play. you don't want to lose your chips by calling a hand with many players in. tight aggressive is my play.

Good luck at tables!!!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think you need to tailor your play to the villans and your tourney equity.

A big chip stack you be viewed as a tool, a tool to get more chips.

Often just the size of your stack will allow you to get away with redonk moves like min raising and getting folds.

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think you need to tailor your play to the villans and your tourney equity.

A big chip stack you be viewed as a tool, a tool to get more chips.

Often just the size of your stack will allow you to get away with redonk moves like min raising and getting folds.
Right, this is kind of what I am getting at. I feel like my tournament game is getting pretty good. I can usually chip up pretty good during the beginning and middle stages of a tournament. I do still struggle with adjusting once I get to the latter stages though. I find my self playing like a rock and not picking up too much more while all the others who are still in the tournament take turns knocking eachother out and doubling up. If I play rock too long the next thing you know my commanding chip stack is not nearly as big as it was in comparison to what the other have. Its either that or I try to play bully and I eventually get someone who plays back at me. Then I either fold or put a good portion of my chips on the table because in the latter stages of a tournament the blinds are so high. Getting involved preflop is already putting so much at stake, but I am not going to just sit by and hope to cash. When I play I want to cash and I want that cash to be somewhere at the top.

Do you think min raises really work in the later stages? I guess it does right? I see a lot of people using the min raise in the later stages when the blinds are bigger, and it does seem to work.

P

Pleyer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Comments

Well I actually enjoyed reading comments thank you! I am no pro but I guess how i have read you should be aggressive only when you have an edge or of course gut feeling is important too

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right, this is kind of what I am getting at. I feel like my tournament game is getting pretty good. I can usually chip up pretty good during the beginning and middle stages of a tournament. I do still struggle with adjusting once I get to the latter stages though. I find my self playing like a rock and not picking up too much more while all the others who are still in the tournament take turns knocking eachother out and doubling up. If I play rock too long the next thing you know my commanding chip stack is not nearly as big as it was in comparison to what the other have. Its either that or I try to play bully and I eventually get someone who plays back at me. Then I either fold or put a good portion of my chips on the table because in the latter stages of a tournament the blinds are so high. Getting involved preflop is already putting so much at stake, but I am not going to just sit by and hope to cash. When I play I want to cash and I want that cash to be somewhere at the top.

Do you think min raises really work in the later stages? I guess it does right? I see a lot of people using the min raise in the later stages when the blinds are bigger, and it does seem to work.

Yes, I think min raises can get folds, but going back to my earlier point you want to tailor your bet sizes for the villans, ie some villans wont fold to a min raise but they will fold to a cbet, other villans will call a shove light but they will fold to a normal size raise, some villans will attack a limp, etc, etc.

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I think min raises can get folds, but going back to my earlier point you want to tailor your bet sizes for the villans, ie some villans wont fold to a min raise but they will fold to a cbet, other villans will call a shove light but they will fold to a normal size raise, some villans will attack a limp, etc, etc.
I follow what you're saying. I think my biggest problem is I am either playing way to fast and burning up my stack, or I am going in to total rock mode and not picking up enough chips to weather the storm.

I currently working on my ability to put opponents on specific starting hands. With this I will probably be much more in tune with knowing the right amount to bet to get each individual vilian to fold when and where I want them to.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An important concern in helping make this decision is how your opponents are playing.

If you have a table full of loose aggressive types you can't really raise every other hand like you would at a table full of tight passive types.

In most small stakes tournaments you can use a big stack to pressure your opponents and ideally build your stack enough to secure a top 3 finish. That can mean three-betting the loose players lighter than normal, calling raises in position and taking the pot away later or simply raising a lot and barreling on dry boards until you meet resistance.

As you mention, it is easy to take it too far or just take a bad beat and go back to a medium or small stack but you aren't out, because you had that extra cushion.

Anyways, lots of things to take into consideration as always, but the more you get into these situations the more proficient you should become - so play a lot!

Good luck to you! :D

xkenjix

xkenjix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i try to target the smaller stacks and avoid the bigger stacks that could cripple me. Doesnt mean i wont play a pot with them, but will try to target smaller stack.s