Site down during tournament

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thing when a tournament is not completed due to a site going down and everyone left is in the money, money should be divided as follows.

All the prize money should be totaled and divided by the number of players left and give an equal amount to all that are left. So, If the prize pool is $1000 and 100 player are left, each should get $10 no matter what position they were in when the site went down. What do you think?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
That is one way to look at it but would you be willing to have such a small share of the total pot if you were leading the tournament when the site goes down?
These things don't happen very often but when they do poker sites don't usually divide prize money equally.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Difficult for leading players to the get the minimum. I do not think it would work very well that way. However maybe they could shave a percentage of the top to the lower positions if there is not a huge field left because sometimes if its a massive tournament that finishes well into the money you still have a shot at the final table but cannot see this being done.

But what is a real pain is when it is really close to the money but has not reached it and you only get your buyin back when hundreds have been knocked out. Find this one a difficult one.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The way they share the prizepool is just fine imo , I think they take into consideration the stacks , at least on PS

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon. It will depend on the stack you had when the tournament was suspended.It happens everywhere.I agree how prizes are divided when a poker site has that problem.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I thing when a tournament is not completed due to a site going down and everyone left is in the money, money should be divided as follows.

All the prize money should be totaled and divided by the number of players left and give an equal amount to all that are left. So, If the prize pool is $1000 and 100 player are left, each should get $10 no matter what position they were in when the site went down. What do you think?
I don't think that would be fair. In my opinion, the distribution of money should be proportional to the player's stack at the time the tournament is stopped.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've had more than a few similar experiences. One of them was for a destination game to Australia (from canada for me) and there was a technical issue. Everyone who was in the game had to start from scratch when the game rescheduled several weeks later..after receiving an obligatory email to "save the date." It wasn't the best solution but what can you do. This was back in the day with "pacific poker."

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I don't think that your proposal is a fair one. Just think if you are chip leader comfortably and I have just 3BB and most likely out in a couple of hands, would you like to receive the same amount like I receive?

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it would be unfair to divide everything equally. If the site goes down, players must receive winnings according to their seat at the time of disconnection.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think when this happens usually the tournament continues in another day/time. If they decided to divide the money, it usually is according their chip stack when the tournament was stopped, which I think it's more fair.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, that seem rather unfair to players, who accumulated a big stack. The most fair would be to use the ICM model and calculate the ICM value of each stack, which is often the method used for deal making at final tables. However that might cause confusion among players, who dont know, what ICM is, and I guess, this is why, most sites use some kind of approximation to the ICM model. If players are already in the money, then the easiest solutino is to pay out, whatever they already looked up, and then distributed the rest based on chips. So for instance 1M chips in play, 1.000$ to still be distributed = each 1.000 chips is worth 1$.

But as others have said, this dont happen very often at all, so if the model is slightly unfair to big stacks or small stacks, you can just consider it another kind of "bad beat", when you end up on the losing side. For me the far more important aspect is, that sites do actually cancel and refund, rather than let players wait for hours to see, if action is eventually resumed. My last server crash was on ACR, and I think, action was halted for more than an hour. And this I actually find very annoying, particularly since I was playing SnGs. Maybe its ok to put a slow MTT on hold for 80 minutes, because people playing those have signed up for a long ride. But SnGs are supposed to be over in somewhere between 20-90 minutes depending on the format. So for those games I really feel, that if action has to be halted for more than 15-20 minutes, they should just be cancelled, so that people can move on and do something else.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think they should be divided by the number of chips who has how many chips he gets so much

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello!🤗
In my opinion, whatever decision is made by the administration of the platform, it will never satisfy absolutely everyone.
For example, your idea: at first glance it sounds decent and honest. But, as another participant has already noted, such a decision would suit you if you were leading in this tournament and instead of possible, for example, $ 300, they would write to you that because of the failure, everyone would receive $ 10.

In my opinion, the most realistic thing is the refund of the contribution made and the postponement of the date of the tournament. And I'm sure that this option would not suit everyone either. There are many criteria.

In any case, I would feel satisfied in the case of any decision in favor of the participants, as it is better than if they write something like: yes, we know about the problem, we are working on it, thank you for your understanding.😅😱

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, the most realistic thing is the refund of the contribution made and the postponement of the date of the tournament.
The problem with that is, a lot of people might not be able to play at whatever time, the tournament is then resumed. And this is why, cancellation is a much better and more fair solution. Maybe if its the final table of some big event with a million dollars for the winner, players can agree to resume it later. But for the average online 5$ game, sites should just pay out the money according to whatever system, the site has chosen, and then let people play another 5$ game, when they have time.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
The problem with that is, a lot of people might not be able to play at whatever time, the tournament is then resumed.
This is exactly what I meant when I wrote that my option would not satisfy everyone, because there are many criteria (I just did not paint).🤗

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Each site has its own internal rules in such situations. I've gotten my buy-in back a few times if the tournament was suspended due to technical issues.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think the money must be shared respectively to the position each player has. This is fairer for me. But each site has its policy about these situations, so it depends from each site.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess they have policies, but apart from that, my personal opinion would be that the money should be paid out in regards to the stacks everyone had when the site crasehd. Otherwise you might have played hours for nothing.