Shoving flush draws

R

rickblackdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been evaluating my PT4 hands and one of my leaks is I’m prone to chasing flush draws. For example, I’ve 23bb sitting in the big blind, we’re ITM but not close to final table. I call a 2.4x open raise with JT hearts. Flop is KJ6 2 hearts. Villain continues for half pot & I decide to check raise all in.

Thinking here is they’re not folding a hand like AK, maybe not even KQ. However I’ve 9 hearts and 2 tens & 2 jacks that can win me the pot here, so I’m roughly 56% to win vs this range.

Villain did call with AK and I bricked out.

There are a few spots like this. Just wanted your thoughts on this play? Are you folding to a c bet or calling down hoping to hit? What stack size are you avoiding this with?

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this case I would also risk and just call to see the turn. There are really good chances to hit a flush. But after the turn I would probably fold if the Villain will raise a lot

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very common leak, everyone semi bluffs their flush draws.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been evaluating my PT4 hands and one of my leaks is I’m prone to chasing flush draws. For example, I’ve 23bb sitting in the big blind, we’re ITM but not close to final table. I call a 2.4x open raise with JT hearts. Flop is KJ6 2 hearts. Villain continues for half pot & I decide to check raise all in.

Thinking here is they’re not folding a hand like AK, maybe not even KQ. However I’ve 9 hearts and 2 tens & 2 jacks that can win me the pot here, so I’m roughly 56% to win vs this range.

Villain did call with AK and I bricked out.

There are a few spots like this. Just wanted your thoughts on this play? Are you folding to a c bet or calling down hoping to hit? What stack size are you avoiding this with?

Thank you for the post. I personally will call to see the turn. If you miss the turn. What is the price to see river. He could be value betting for you or the price may be to much and you may want to consider giving it up. Good luck

Good Luck To All:cool:

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm more likely to raise/jam my big multi draws instead of a flush draw. For example if I have Jh10h and flop comes Qh9s3h and villain raises, I may just shove on them as I have an open ended straight draw, flush draw , and straight flush draw with 2 cards to come esp if I assume villain here has paired a Q, or set , or an over.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on my stack compared to my opponent.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not real big on shoving my chips in on a draw unless I am on an extreme short stack. Not with a flush draw. Not with a straight draw. And not with a couple of over cards. It's probably been close to twenty years since I heard Daniel Negreanu say that really good poker players are going to try to get their chips in win they're ahead, not on draws or when they have outs. It's always stuck in my head. For the right price I might call to see if I can get there, but I'm not going to ship my stack in on a draw.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not real big on shoving my chips in on a draw unless I am on an extreme short stack. Not with a flush draw. Not with a straight draw. And not with a couple of over cards. It's probably been close to twenty years since I heard Daniel Negreanu say that really good poker players are going to try to get their chips in win they're ahead, not on draws or when they have outs. It's always stuck in my head. For the right price I might call to see if I can get there, but I'm not going to ship my stack in on a draw.

This is a very good post regarding the Negreanu bit. I didn't know he said that. I will for sure remember this. My favorite hand is the flush and many times I end up chasing it. Some days you hit them, but when you don't, usually ends up costing you too much. I will put to practice what you said and hope I improve. Thanks

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate to say this, but Negreanu might not have been the one to say that. It might have been Phil Hellmuth. But that doesn't make it any less true, does it? But I'm sure it was one of those two.

Full Flush Poker