Should I just fold?

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been waiting for pairs recently and go all in, but have always been up against a bigger pair. I'm starting to think I should just open fold these pairs and not shove over a raise on a small-medium stack. It seems, in tournaments at least, small pairs arent very profitable. Sure if I hit a set, but not for all my chips on a medium stackish.

T

Trixster61

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like small pairs more than middle pairs. If the flop goes your way they can be big money makers. If the flop is 3 overcards and someone bets big you can fold if everyone limps you still have a chance.

Middle pairs are a nightmare to play.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Are you aware that shove, fold are not the only options in poker?

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With small pairs you want to limp cheap. If you get raised and/or do not hit anything on the flop. You fold and live to see another hand.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been waiting for pairs recently and go all in, but have always been up against a bigger pair. I'm starting to think I should just open fold these pairs and not shove over a raise on a small-medium stack. It seems, in tournaments at least, small pairs arent very profitable. Sure if I hit a set, but not for all my chips on a medium stackish.
Any pair is playable you just have to play them right small medium pairs aren't all in hands they are limp hands if it costs you half your stack to call then fold you only hit a set 1 in 24 times so it's not worth it. 77s upto fish hooks you need to raise but not all in just a 2-3 bet hope everyone else calls and hope for a good flop. Queens to aces 25%-50% off your stack should be your bet if the flop us rainbow and no connectors you put the rest in.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Solid advice everyone. I guess I just have to be more optimistic and know a better opportunity is probably just around the corner.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Never go all-in with a pair in the first stage. Only raise, only win, only aces :cool: You should be careful with a pair. There are two of them and you are one:p;):D

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You can't star folding pairs just like that. You wouldn't have any good hands left to play!

All pocket pairs are strong hands when you get down to 10-15 bb in tournaments - especially if you push first. And deep in early stages of tournaments you mainly call with low-middle pairs to hit a set if the money goes in.

The hardest part is in the middle of a tournament there you don't get the odds to call for set-mining. It can be best to fold the lowest pairs if your not first in with good position.

Folding in Poker