Should I join a multi-way pot with KJo

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I had the situation in my one if my last tournaments that I had KJo but before me already 3 player join the pot with 3BB.
I folded the hand, but I am not sure if this was the right decision. I had round about 20BB, but the bubble was near, so I want to be tight. I don’t want to 3-bet because I was afraid of an Allin as answer.
Was it to tight?

Regards

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was, if you not feel strong enough with your hand you should fold.
Becouse if i feel not strong enought to play and still go into floop having weird situations.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If online a good choice.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends. If you hand position a call could be justified but if not I would lay this hand down near the bubble. 3 bet would basically commit a lot of your stack for essentially a drawing hand the could be easily dominated.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems too risky to me, 20BB stack, 15% to join, 1 raise and 2 call before.
Assuming you are in late position.
odds might be interesting, depending the characteristics of the opponents.

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah in the end I think it was good to fold.
Even if I would hit the KJ I the flop in this tournament :D
Not sure with which range I would use a 3-bet in this situation...
Of course with a Broadway pair, maybe with broadway suited?

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In nearly every situation KJ off is a justifiable fold. Not a great hand, it only seems pretty because it has two paint cards. Basically it has a wide range of playable hands that beat it and not many playable hands that it beats.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not particularly play that way, 3 players before you had already entered the pot competition so it is quite likely to find someone with better cards. I would fold that hand since we are in the tournament bubble and expect a better hand. Now if no one was in the pot, it would be a good move to go allin in the final position with the intention of stealing the pot, and if he called he would have enough equity to play and win the hand.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't join a multi way with KJ, you will get beat 9 out of 10 times because of ace high hands and other hidden hands like suited connectors.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if it was suited I see a fold here. you have 3 people in ahead so more than likely 1 was sporting a pair. Good Fold.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know it sucks to lay down a winning hand but you have to play the odds. The chances that KJ off hold up in a four way pot are slim. Heck, I've been in a four way pot with AA and finished with the worst hand. You just never know. Poker happens.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you were not so sure about this KJ you took the right decision, especially near the buble. Generally KJ is not a so interesting pair, but there is always the right time to play each pair, following your judgement.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJo really isn't a hand that can handle any preflop pressure and isn't strong enough to apply pressure itself. It plays well in unraised muliway pots. If there's been a 3bb raise with a couple of callers, its likely a safe fold. There are just too many ways you're dominated. Even in position, you'll almost need a straight (or a strong draw to one) to be able play post flop. If you do hit you could end up calling off with second best [AA, KK, JJ, TT, AKs, AKo, ATs, ATo, KQs, KQo, ect.] The dynamic changes a bit if you're on a short stack and won't last more than 1 or 2 orbits, but on an average stack it's probably better to wait for better.

P

pokerpie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was the right fold, not over committing too many chips when you could be behind already.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A correct move, kinda connected cards

If you aren't comfortable with KJo, folding isn't the worst thing. One of the most difficult things is NOT making the marginal, hero play, especially when it is kinda connected cards, say: KJo, Q9o Q8,K9, A10.

Appropriate folding is boring, nobody remembers you for it, etc. But the thing is, it keeps you in the game, for when you do get some breaks, and pounce.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 20BB I am either folding or shoving KJo depending on what I think the openers range is. You don't say what position you were in or where the open was from or the stack sizes of the opponents already in the pot and that is important info in order to make a decision.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most of the others said it's a good fold. I probably overlimp KJs some small percentage of the time though and hope to flop gin or a monster draw or something.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you answered your own question. (Compliment). Ok to limp in with at the right time. Sometimes even raise, depending on position and stack size.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's a limp and you have enough chips/position, sure. Consider your on the bubble and your about to cover your buy in I would recommend folding as it's one hand, if you've ever done anything stupid on the bubble and you bubbled you'll remember this and probably fold everything but the top 5 hands.

.. maybe KJs, limp-3xblind (consider stack size if you don't have enough it's free to fold)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good Fold you did not need to play that hand besides KJ is not a premium hand it is not a good idea to do 3-bet here

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
That's an easy fold for me. What kind of flop do you hope to hit? Since 3 players already represent decent hands, it's likely that at least 1-2 hold high cards. If they hold high cards, there is a higher chance that the board will show low cards, which you don't want with your king high. If the board has high cards, it's likely that someone will have you dominated (AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AJ, KQ), so you won't be comfortable with KJ even when you hit a K or J top pair. You'll like a two pair, 9TQ or TQA. Even when you hit your straight, it's not that unlikely that someone has a set or two pair for a FH draw, a flush draw, or a straight draw, which will either crush you, or you'll have to split.

With a small stack like yours, you don't have room for maneuvering. It's just not worth the risk, considering that you have enough chips to wait for a better situation.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold 100%. It would be an unreasonable risk of losing part of the stack.

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, thanks for these many good answers. It changed my view completely on this hand.
Sure I agreed the fold was ok, but before thought KJ would be a better hand as it is. Depending on position, caller, etc. ofc. It’s not a bad hand but I should overthink my ranges.

Every time a pleasure to be here :)

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I had the situation in my one if my last tournaments that I had KJo but before me already 3 player join the pot with 3BB.
I folded the hand, but I am not sure if this was the right decision. I had round about 20BB, but the bubble was near, so I want to be tight. I don’t want to 3-bet because I was afraid of an Allin as answer.
Was it to tight?

Regards

What were the blinds? What was your position? Because if you had 20bb left, with multiway, that would be tough to just call. You would have to probably shove, and even then with KJo you'll never know where you stand. AK-AQ (Maybe AJ) KQ is calling you if they can afford to call you. If you were in the SB position, you would have to raise or fold, and if you get called you're OOP not knowing if you're good in a mutliway pot, so chances are you're behind or the others that called have your outs.