short stack mentality

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you folks ever been short stack for so long that when you finally got a good stack you still bet like you were short?

I ask this because I made the mistake of going all in with AJ, like a moron, and got called by 2 people. I had one of them beat, even after the river, but the other fellow had a pair of Ks. I was kicking myself. I had been short stacked for about 45 minutes. I made the money and made a few moves that got me deeper. I was 80 something out of 1,369. Man, I felt like a moron when I did that too.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look I get that feeling when playing a tournament so long scraping to finally get in the money then when the tables have turned and getting myself deep into the money being for the first time to about 50BB I still end up shoving preflop hands when I forget that I should play slightly tighter then before. I guess it all comes down to being more greedy for a higher payout than a payout of just being in the money. It happens to alot of us but I know next time I play, I will learn to play better than before. Good luck on your future tournaments.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short stacked

The only thing on my mind when I'm short stacked is I can't loose. Good luck on the tables and as always. Have fun

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sat down at the last table with a 2bb stack and nevertheless managed to take 2th place later. The game goes on for everyone.

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep this is one of my problems. I love playing when short stacked.. Mimds completely on it. Play so tight. Win some chips and im calling hands i shouldnt

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The funny thing is that I had this pressing the wrong button to place the chips on the table. There are buttons for presetting the size of the bet, and when the mouse button was pressed to fold, an icon with an all-in appeared in that place. And it turned out that I did a random all-in. Thank goodness I was lucky and took the bank with a bad card.

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The easy thing of being shortstack is that you have not many options.

You need a decent stack of 6 BB or more so you have a bit of fold equity.
If you wait to long and have 4 or 3 BB left, the double up will not help you much.
So if you are in late position with no action it s almost with any cards you can go for it.
Second option is when you have a good starting hand andd the bigstack is pushing.

But as you are shortstack there is not much you can loose

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play completely differently, with small or large stacks. The mistake you made refers to mental fatigue. Look at the good side, next time you won't make the same mistake!

4kingwildo

4kingwildo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you folks ever been short stack for so long that when you finally got a good stack you still bet like you were short?

I ask this because I made the mistake of going all in with AJ, like a moron, and got called by 2 people. I had one of them beat, even after the river, but the other fellow had a pair of Ks. I was kicking myself. I had been short stacked for about 45 minutes. I made the money and made a few moves that got me deeper. I was 80 something out of 1,369. Man, I felt like a moron when I did that too.

u just talking bout me ) just burn all stack with a10s<1010. I come with 1, makes 7 buck and still feel 2 small ))) I should kill that damn shorty :D:D:D

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sat down at the last table with a 2bb stack and nevertheless managed to take 2th place later. The game goes on for everyone.
that is very impressive...grats indeed :)

chip and a chair

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Happens a lot. Sometimes, it gets me a run and I finish higher than expected, but I do end up donking out hands I shoulda folded. Just need to slow down and let the adrenaline settle.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand why you felt like a moron considering that with a short stack hands like aj or even a10, especially in late position, are more than reasonable hands to play all in preflop. players with larger stacks are more likely to call all-ins from shorter stacked players even with hands that are not that strong like kq kj a10 or even weaker hands.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why you felt like a moron considering that with a short stack hands like aj or even a10, especially in late position, are more than reasonable hands to play all in preflop. players with larger stacks are more likely to call all-ins from shorter stacked players even with hands that are not that strong like kq kj a10 or even weaker hands.

It is because I prefer to conserve my energy with a medium stack for when I have a pair to play with. I will play AJ, try to see a flop, and then decide what to do. I have a control the flow mentality at that point. I have made final tables by keeping my chips within needed boundaries. AJ has too many weaknesses, such as it is only A high. The flop is more important to me as a measure. I may fish when I have more chips, but not when I need to chip up.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This kind of trouble happens every day with any player. Over time, experience will come and you will lure and win.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ is a good hand to go all-in being short stack because if you have less than 10 big blinds it is all in preflop and you will always see players with double your chip stacks who will make the call. But if you have more than 15 big blinds, you only do an open raise x 2.5 looking to connect a top pair on the flop, you don't play all the chips with that hand when you have a good stack, but when we have few chips I don't see it wrong that move because in the long run you will be a winner against worse hands than that.

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are really shortstacked (5 bb or less) I prefer to go allin in early position with any suited or connected hand (or both) and with no ace.

As the bigger stacks are always gonne call you if they have an ace.
If you have something like 89s you have chance for flush str or just get lucky win with a stupid pair of 9s or so.
Have seen players gone allin with A4 or so and then get called by A10 and then you re as good as chanceless.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It usually happens to me that I am in a bubble and I resist entering prizes and since the bubble breaks I double my stack and manage to go far in the tournament, I think that one becomes more analytical in those situations that in the end should be all balanced:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a believer in any two cards with less than 10 blinds and shove. I prefer to pick my own spot. :) I'm use to playing with a short stack......I never give up....

Last edited:
Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah learning how to play short stack and even normal buy in stack is good to know when you have big chip lead, don't just turn into calling stations just because you have the chips. that's how any people don't even make it to the money and blow leads. if you play like if you where short stacked then you will carry on to the money with more chances.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

without any history, stage in mtt/stack sizes/player position, im assuming that you're under 15 big blinds, if that is the case then jamming AJ is usually ok, unless you were UTG and it was AJ off with a BUNCH of smaller stacks behind, jamming sounds like the right idea. dont get upset when you make the correct call and get punished. look at the hand and decide if you could have played differently.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The AJ are not the best cards for all in, but it depends from the study of the game if you decide it. Also at a good position the possibilities are more. I would't choose it most of the times. Now if the stack is short AJ is one of the options.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I have to ask, are you utilizing inflection points when you play tournaments and making your decisions based on chip stacks and players tendencies throughout each tournament? Are you keeping track of everyone's "M's" and fully aware of what color zone you are in within your own M? Do you have a full understanding of how the players are playing when you are making your move with AJ or are you going with pure luck?

Blind structure, chips stacks, player tendencies are huge in determining what to do. Are you seeing 4 steps ahead and basing the decision you are making "now" or are you simply playing the hand at the moment and the immediate outcome.

Reference to review:
http://www.sitandgoplanet.com/multi...an happen when,new circumstances at the table.

Thanks

Last edited:
EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know what I think, cheese is lack of concentration friend.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I continue to make bad moves when I am short stacked. But I love to watch other good players who are short stacked and have the patience of a saint. They can literally have crumbs but will patiently wait for the right cards in the right position and actually make something of those crumbs. It is fun if you make it to the final table and there is that short stack . . . I aspire to play like them.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to ask, are you utilizing inflection points when you play tournaments and making your decisions based on chip stacks and players tendencies throughout each tournament? Are you keeping track of everyone's "M's" and fully aware of what color zone you are in within your own M? Do you have a full understanding of how the players are playing when you are making your move with AJ or are you going with pure luck?

Blind structure, chips stacks, player tendencies are huge in determining what to do. Are you seeing 4 steps ahead and basing the decision you are making "now" or are you simply playing the hand at the moment and the immediate outcome.

Reference to review:
http://www.sitandgoplanet.com/multi...an happen when,new circumstances at the table.

Thanks

I doubt I am that fancy in my thinking. I was referring to the fact I did not change my thought process from not having the chips to make good moves to be one of having enough to be patient and play a conservative game till I got the right cards. I normally play a little tight and do my best to keep a good view of the table. I was just tired and was not thinking as clearly as I should.