Short Stack

G

GabrielAlves789

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
My friends, how do you control your stacks in a tournament?

I've been short of blinds at the final tables lately.

Tell me how to deal with you with the raises of bets and with you who will try to play high.

~~~~~

Meus amigos, como vocês controlam seus stacks em um torneio?

Ultimamente tenho falta de blinds nas mesas finais.

Digam como lidar com vocês com os aumentos de apostas e com vocês que vão tentar de jogar alto.

Last edited by a moderator:
rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
If you are short stack at the finale table, there is one factor to take in consideration : the ICM (independent chip model), to briefly explain, if you have 5 bb and there is one player left with 3 bb, you have to fold.fold.fold until he bust, cause you'll have a better prize to hit.
In theory if you are the short stack at the final table you will push all in with a wide range 60-70% of your starting hands, the other players won't risk their stack unless they have a hand (big pairs, big suited faces...) The short stack must apply some pressure to gain spots preflop, if you wait until you have a hand you'll be blinded up.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should use the fear factor at the "final table bubble" and make some active plays and moves, when there are two tables left...then its possible to gain a lot chips with the high blinds...and you can arrive at the final table with a more promising stack...

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some great reply’s already, either sit and wait for others to bust for that pay increase, or be more aggressive, with position, against the right opponents, and hope to double up.
Getting to the final table is a task in itself, now play for 1st!

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is a table for playing with a short stack at the late stage of the tournament, the ranges are a little different there, I'll look for it later and put it up when I have time, but you can search the Internet yourself

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think you must study strategy of the game. There are plendy of articles and informations here! It will help you to form your general behavior and strategy in the game.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a short stack, I play push or fold, and what other strategies exist?

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short stacks are easier to play. The best way to learn holdem is to play with short stacks which is the end game.

J

jivkoptkv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
My friends, how do you control your stacks in a tournament?

I've been short of blinds at the final tables lately.

Tell me how to deal with you with the raises of bets and with you who will try to play high.

~~~~~

Meus amigos, como vocês controlam seus stacks em um torneio?

Ultimamente tenho falta de blinds nas mesas finais.

Digam como lidar com vocês com os aumentos de apostas e com vocês que vão tentar de jogar alto.
If you reach a final table and you are shortstacked play only hands that you would go all in with.
Try to 3bet and raise your best hands and fold the rest. Call and check less.
Study your opponents even if you are not playing in the particular hand. Try to find their tendencies and exploit them.
PLAY IN POSITION

Last edited:
PauPau

PauPau

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
try to be in last 3 by getting blinds to your left when open if your last or when your in top 5 just wait and from there anything can happen.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you have a short stack you can only afford to play premium hands.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
With a short stack, I play push or fold, and what other strategies exist?
I do it the same way, with some adjustments for different types of opponents.

True, i use push/fold charts from another site, but it would be interesting to find an article on push/fold on cardsschat.