Set mining

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any thoughts on set mining? When do you do it, and mostly, how does stack size and position affect your decision.
Personally, I always struggle when deciding what pocket pairs to play and when. I also have a lot of trouble deciding the right play when 4/5 handed at the FT and facing a open bet...

O

Olivicon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to set mine with low PP during the early rounds of a SNG . If it’s going to cost me over 5% of my stack then I need a good reason to do it.

I’m talking really good odds ( lots of limpers before me )

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I will set mine only if the pot has been raised or there are a lot of limper in the pot already early in the tournament. I will also only set mine with small pocket pairs. One think I look at is there enough left in my stack and theirs to make it worth it to set mine. One thing you dont want to do is set mine when one of you don't have the chips. I have seen people set mine against me when the blinds are 50/100 and they only have 1000 chips and I have raised it up to 300. Yes they are very likely to get the double up against me but they will miss the flop so often and then fold to make the move not profitable. Yes you do want to have position on them and you should always want position against your opponent but it is not necessary to have position. In truth when you are set mining you are probably playing hit the set and continue on after the flop or miss and fold.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set mining requires a mix of direct odds and implied odds.

If getting 2:1 direct you need 20:1.

If 3:1 you need 15:1

if 4:1 you need 10:1

if 5:1 you need 6:1

If 6:1 you need 3:1

If 7:1 you need 1:1

Position can lower these, as can your opponent being weak.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set mining requires a mix of direct odds and implied odds.

If getting 2:1 direct you need 20:1.

If 3:1 you need 15:1

if 4:1 you need 10:1

if 5:1 you need 6:1

If 6:1 you need 3:1

If 7:1 you need 1:1

Position can lower these, as can your opponent being weak.

But when you are playing live, do you really calculate this when you get a pocket pair?
Also, how is your play affected if someone shoves behind you, and is folded to you by other plays.
My biggest issues are with pocket pairs when short-handed, something like 6 max or 4 max tables. Where do I draw a line what to play, and what not

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all do this ; however, I believe everyone approaches this differently based on their own personal styles of play. While the odds of going busto with set over set are rare, it has happened to me more than it should have because I have set mined in spots with 6's and lower in positions in which I probably shouldn't have based on my stack size, position, etc. So be careful. You have to pick the right spots and just go with it.