thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I haven't seen any mention of rebuy tournaments for a while although there are plenty of re-entry tournaments. Are they the same or is there a difference? As I recall, you could rebuy in a rebuy tournament when you were down to half your chips; you can't do that with re-entries but I wondered if the entire format had been changed.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think the main difference that is a little confusing, is that in a Re-entry game, you have the opportunity to buy back into the game only when you go broke, this of course has a Time limit, which is determined by the Blind level.
In a Rebuy Game you have the same opportunity with the added bonus that you can also purchase an Add-on at any time during the game regardless of how many chips you have, but again there is a similar time restriction, and that is determined by the Blind level and break level, So once you reach the allotted Break you will be given a chance to Add-on, but once the game restarts you have no option for either.
It's very important to read the Tournament information before you register so that you know whether it is a Re-entry or Re-buy with Add-ons, because with some Games you are limited to one Re-Entry or Re-Buy, but with others there could be unlimited Re-Entries until a certain Break Level is reached.
Hope this clears the mud a little.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think the main difference that is a little confusing, is that in a Re-entry game, you have the opportunity to buy back into the game only when you go broke, this of course has a Time limit, which is determined by the Blind level.
In a Rebuy Game you have the same opportunity with the added bonus that you can also purchase an Add-on at any time during the game regardless of how many chips you have, but again there is a similar time restriction, and that is determined by the Blind level and break level, So once you reach the allotted Break you will be given a chance to Add-on, but once the game restarts you have no option for either.
It's very important to read the Tournament information before you register so that you know whether it is a Re-entry or Re-buy with Add-ons, because with some Games you are limited to one Re-Entry or Re-Buy, but with others there could be unlimited Re-Entries until a certain Break Level is reached.
Hope this clears the mud a little.
I thought it was something like that. Yeah, read the tournament rules. I just played a mystery bounty tournament, took two bounties, and ended up with nothing.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Add on is what you're thinking of. Freezeout once you bust you're done.

Rebuy if you bust you can reenter the mtt if still in later registration period.

Add on is the ability to add on to your stack a set amount of chips at a predetermined blind level if you're still in the mtt.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Semantics or something else?​

It's semantics.
Re-entry: if you bust you can "re-enter" the tournament.
Re-buy: if your stack is at or below the starting amount you can "re-buy" chips.
Add-on: during the last break of the "late registration" period any player can "add-on" to their existing chip stack.
I believe these are correct definitions. GL. :)