selecting the best tournaments

P

pietpikel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After a long absence, I finally deposited some cash into stars. Not much, just $100. I wanted to experiment a little and get a feel for what works best for me.

Couple of things I found.

1) Cheaper the buy in the looser the tournament. Kind of makes sense.

2) You need a mountain of luck to decent cash in big fields (over 800). You simply will not avoid the variance, when you have to go all-in so many times. Eventually a bullet comes along with your name on it. Your QQ will get beaten by AK, and your 99 will lose to AQ ...

3) You have to start these tournaments and leave a large amount of time available to complete them. No good starting at 9pm , and getting to the business end at 1.30am. You need to be awake and sharp, and you are tired and worn out...

4) PLO low8 is a bitch of a tournament. A player with A2XX gets excited, and overbets preflop. You have limited ability to pot control, and the whole thing is a lottery/waste of time...

I found the best balance to be $16 or higher tourns, that had smaller fields, and were faster.

Looking forward t hearing thoughts ....:)

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completely agree with your comments, I have played on stars for 12 years

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Like Hi-lo,but agree with comment.Luck and knowledge hand in hand like twins have to play with you.

Mini1380

Mini1380

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Black Jack it on red then play poker cash games on the lowest leverl

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I must learn how to play omaha high -low

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After a long absence, I finally deposited some cash into stars. Not much, just $100. I wanted to experiment a little and get a feel for what works best for me.

Couple of things I found.

1) Cheaper the buy in the looser the tournament. Kind of makes sense.

2) You need a mountain of luck to decent cash in big fields (over 800). You simply will not avoid the variance, when you have to go all-in so many times. Eventually a bullet comes along with your name on it. Your QQ will get beaten by AK, and your 99 will lose to AQ ...

3) You have to start these tournaments and leave a large amount of time available to complete them. No good starting at 9pm , and getting to the business end at 1.30am. You need to be awake and sharp, and you are tired and worn out...

4) PLO low8 is a bitch of a tournament. A player with A2XX gets excited, and overbets preflop. You have limited ability to pot control, and the whole thing is a lottery/waste of time...

I found the best balance to be $16 or higher tourns, that had smaller fields, and were faster.

Looking forward t hearing thoughts ....:)
Great thread totally makes sense.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ESPECIALLY the really big money tournaments that can run a couple of days. How the winners manage to stay alert for that long blows my mind. It only takes one mistake, or one big bad beat, to throw away all of the hard work, concentration, and skill that it took to get through the first 24 hours.

F

Forbesy604

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ESPECIALLY the really big money tournaments that can run a couple of days. How the winners manage to stay alert for that long blows my mind. It only takes one mistake, or one big bad beat, to throw away all of the hard work, concentration, and skill that it took to get through the first 24 hours.
I completely agree with you, its mind boggling to a certain degree how much patience and intuition you need to have to stay alive

melodyman169

melodyman169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know omaha rules, but agreed with other part of post!
I have been beated by AQ when I had QQ in my hand :'(

subaru16162

subaru16162

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is what kills me the most, I get so far then lose my lot with K's against someones 9's but he hits a straight.

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The new tournament Zombie Fest, on 22:00 on mondays are great.
Easier way to make some money from 0.

Q

Quick Hitter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think your right

When you play in a 16 or under 20 you would be able to make decent money espically in an 8 seater paying 4 positions. I found that the players are tight and usually u will one have one donk in the room who goes out first lol

G

Gnikace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
..:)

If only those were the cases, would be fine. Worse are the bad beats... Your AA getting beaten by 55, your KK beaten to T8, those runner runner straights or flushes or fullhouses that come out of nowhere to beat your winning hand at the flop...

To get a good place in a MTT, you can't have too many bad luck. And avoid coin flips, unless you have to, or unless you are against a much smaller stack than yours.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play on ACR in tourneys. I find that yes you have to win some coin flips initially to get traction, but then if you can build a stack you have the chance to play some real poker without it being a total shove fest. If you pick your spots it is possible to get in the money. Then you need to get lucky again when people are short stacked and moving all in. Best of luck!

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually like to play the Regular Tournaments of K.O good and conservative!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, good tournaments and fast ones are KO 36 people and more and SPIN-GO, a good way to get money quickly in the tournament, well, every player has his own choice for tournaments, I like such tournaments!