Satellites

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are satellites worth it or are they mini rip-offs?

Does strategy change in a satellite as people seem to play much more aggressively? Would you rather gain seat through satellite or just buy your place?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The satellite is a good opportunity to play an expensive tournament, spending a little money. From time to time I play satellites.

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The satellite is a good opportunity to play an expensive tournament, spending a little money. From time to time I play satellites.

Thanks for the reply :)

I think I will just use my stars coins to enter satellites until I see something that I really wish to get involved in.

Do you change your strategy much for them?

A

Andy_mirON

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you want to play a tournament that you not allow your bankroll without the satellites can not do ...
strategy to play - play like a normal tournament, but I used to read that people played more wide hand's in sats

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you want to play a tournament that you not allow your bankroll without the satellites can not do ...
strategy to play - play like a normal tournament, but I used to read that people played more wide hand's in sats

Yeah I’ve played a few and that’s how it feels. Very loose aggressive and so much more reliant on luck as people don’t care when it’s only a few cents involved. Guess you just have to counter that in some way (e.g crossing your fingers for aces and hoping everyone raises you all-in)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the Sunday Storm satellites and have played them a lot in the past. They have a variety of buy-ins. This past week I satted into the Storm from a $1.10 satellite and won $12.85. Not earth shattering, but definitely a profitable way to buy in to the tournament.

Yes, the play was aggressive in the satellite but no more so than the Storm itself which lost 5,000 players during the first half hour and 30,000 by the end of the 2 1/2 hr late registration period.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing satellites that boosts my self esteem in poker to prove myself that I can go a little higher ..
whenever possible, I always try to play satellites well or inexpensive tournaments

Yonip17

Yonip17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played before satellites for$215 super sunday at pokerstar...turning 1.10 to 22. then 22 to $215. then I was busted at around 600 placed. cashed $350+. I played that game after my 12hrs work. The tournament already running 7 hours. and 2 hours more I have to go to work again. Thats terrible... So tired and exhausted...

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You play satellites a lil different than SnG's and if you know how to play them, it can be well worth it.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Satellites are good ways to play tournaments that may be hard to play normally with your bankroll for a fraction of the cost

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellites are good, but you have to take into consideration that it does not involve money. So, playing sats with small buy in and be careful with bankroll

Mikica1122

Mikica1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a throw of money, but I'm still playing satellite. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to pay for it right now than to play a few satellites and wait for you to enter the tournament. It's hard to win satellites .

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play satellites

I played satellites before and people play lousy. It could be because they don't care about the cheap buy-in. Besides, what's the difference of winning money then using that money to enter another tournament? I may one day try to satellite into the wsop. That's about it though.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not think the satellites are a scam, they give you a great opportunity to play important tournaments for very little, and more if it's for tournaments of buy-in very large

cocojambo

cocojambo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satelites are good for big tourneys such as big bang,sunday storm,place holder etc.I won a satelite one time to play the place holder in the begining of the year.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Like others have said they are good for getting into bigger Tournaments. I think they are a good way to practice your skills against a loose aggressive table. I think they are worth the investment in the end.

F

FaritGaripov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love sattelites to Sanday Million :D

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The satellites are worth and of course they are not a mini scams, they give the opportunity to many players to participate in tournaments where they do not reach to make the normal buy in. Mostly I play them for that reason but also to leave some money for other tournaments of which I could make a normal buy in. As for the style, it becomes quite aggressive in most of what has happened to my experience.

Duraphig

Duraphig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think satellites are a really good idea and have participated in a few recently. I don't have the bankroll to play those higher stakes tournaments at the moment but the satellites give me a chance without risking a whole lot.

I do agree that the really seem to be aggressive though, and definitely needs to be taken into consideration with ones play in a satellite.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yeap why not , if you are playing ABI $2 and you start your session by opening some tables you can run some $2 sats too. You can sat something bigger than your average buy in and win big. pokerstars also run the 16 player hyper turbo sats. I like them very much, top 2 gain an entry approximately 9x the original buy in.

If you are playing only 1 table per time then you want to win something in shorter time.To be honest if you won an entry and you can unregister for the target tournament then you will be able to use those T$ (tournament money) for playing whatever you want!!!

The strategy differs in some spots.Because is not a classic MTT, you have to get ITM(in the money) at any cost. If you are the massive chip leader you have to apply pressure to the shorties more often.Satellites are the tournaments you can fold AA without hesitation near bubble when your stack is not massive!!

frajola211

frajola211

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satellites

fully agrees in your comment that we can get high tournament entrances on a cheaper satellite .... a great opportunity

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have played few satellites, but I think the strategy does not change, you always go in search of a prize, I would try the 1st satellites because there is an opportunity to gain entry at a low cost, and it serves as a practice, besides helping you practice a bit

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how much is the buy in. If it’s less than $3-5 people don’t care.
If it’s higher, players usually play too passive so better players exploit that.

O

OneMoreTry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of satellites because it lowers my buy-in costs significantly.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satellites are straight roads to the top in poker.
all depends only on ourselves.
I will always remember the success of Chris M .

Poker Tells