Is satellite a good way to qualify for a big tournament?:wavey:

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I am no expert, but I used to play satellites to qualify for other tournaments, but I don’t like it anymore.

1) In terms of bankroll management, in order to have a return of an investment you need to get in the prize in two tournaments in a row. That said I think you need the same bankroll to play either the satellite or the main tournament. So why play the satellite if you have the money to play the main tournament. And if you think you don’t have the bankroll to play the main tournament then you don’t have it to play the satellite.

2) In pokerstars, the relative rake of the tournament is greater in satellites than the main tournament.

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course there is, it saves you money and you go to big tournaments with a big bain

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I love to satellite into bigger tourneys for a fraction of the price, it is one of my favorite things to do. The only problem with some sattys on Stars is that you satellite into a tournament and it has already been running for an hour plus. I hate those satellites they are putting you in a awkward position from the get go. If you can satellite into a tourney and start from when it begins or a few minutes in then that is a awesome spot. You need to be in grind mode if you expect to satellite into a tourney then win a tourney right after, such a long stretch of play. This is do able and the fact you satellited into the tourney makes it so much sweeter when you cash or win. I say give the satellites a shot they are there for a reason to make a tourney not that pricey to play, you just have to have a lot of time and patience to succeed with them.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, yes. Thanks to such satellites, the player has a good chance to get a valuable ticket, the buy-in of which is ten times higher than the buy-in of the satellite.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips

Personally, I get to major tournaments through satellites. I try to choose a satellite where the number of rebuys is limited.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I
1) In terms of bankroll management, in order to have a return of an investment you need to get in the prize in two tournaments in a row. That said I think you need the same bankroll to play either the satellite or the main tournament. So why play the satellite if you have the money to play the main tournament. And if you think you don’t have the bankroll to play the main tournament then you don’t have it to play the satellite.

While this ^ is true, I personally feel that there are just soooo many players who play Satellites terribly, that is +ev to play in them.

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if, if you have the time and you feel positive or inspired, it is a great opportunity

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellites definitely are since they tend to be soft games (particularly when it's required to play the target tournament like in Stars). Of course it's also nice to have the possibility of getting into the big tourney for a small $$ amount, and that can be the main concern in a situation where you can't afford the target at all and just want some chance of being able to play it.

I'd recommend checking out Dara's thread on satellites here where he's answering questions and also talking about a book he and Barry Carter recently put out -- Poker Satellite Strategy. It's an extremely useful guide to playing them.

Sword

Sword

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellite, this path to large bag money, but his need to still win, my friend winning satellite dragged a large sum money, so that go for it.

Poker Tells