rival as a source of motivation

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , I have played at the table with many good players, while watching them i noticed a few stand out players that naturally became my friendly rival, having this rival, comparing stack sizes , and imagining who will last longer or win between us, has at times affected my play, some dubious spots I decide to fold or bet less because I don't want to lose to my rival, anyone experience that? Lol ..... or am I crazy :) :) ;):fight:

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not think you're crazy, it has happened to me that there are certain players that I think are more rivals for me than others and that makes me motivate a little more

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good toll for motivation especially if you play cc freeroll.But it is better when is not so light hard as your,you dont see them as friendly rival but as opponents who you will catch up in stack and eventually eliminate from tournament.It should only apply to good players,if you look up to a fish you are doomed form a very beginning.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice @pancho ,
,if you look up to a fish you are doomed form a very beginning.
Well not sure if they're a fish or shark, just notice the rival chipping up thru the levels, and I'll be chipping up too (hopefully ) , i sometimes keep tabs on thier stack size even if at a different table, basically i don't want to lose to them and of course not let them get of touch chip - wise, I wouldn't say "look upto them" , just extra motivation to beat them

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I had one rival like that, and yeah, I also found it to be motivating. And it actually made me more disciplined with my play which resulted in more successful performance in those tournaments that we played. I consider a healthy rivalry is a good thing, it helped my game to evolve a bit.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haven't had that in tourney play but growing up we had a regular cash game where my friend was my rival. I think it made us both better trying to out do the other. Of coarse I think that I'm better.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
the truth if there are players that motivate me more, especially if they are players with whom I have entered the tournaments

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, i look forward to being your rival at tonight's CC freeroll, haha , hopefully this time I'll last more than 49mins

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like your use of your rival's chipstack as a gauge during a tournament.

It's important to have some sort of gauge - and that could be avg chip stack or the bigstack at your table...etc.

Good luck !

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its probably a good thing,you play more disciplined and think about every hand so its a good thing

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's fun to have someone to go after in the cardschat games:)

Zorba was my favourite (before Australia took away his right to play) followed closely by scokyl, AlfieAA and marcwantstowin. There are more but when I see one of these guys at a table, I want their chips:p