Registration Timing

G

GEO12GIO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At first i thought joining tournaments with minutes left on late registration would give me better odds at finishing in the money, this is because late reg ends as soon as I join and the field is ever decreasing. No rebuys. I'm new to poker and using this strategy i finished 7th in a tourney with about 700 players
Recently this has not been very successful as the blind and ante sizes eat your chips pretty quick, you have to get the ball rolling straight away for any chance.
Just wondering, as a new player, if anyone has any thoughts or theories on what is the best time to start a tourney

Last edited by a moderator:
C

ChrystalClear

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always start as soon as possible. Sometimes the first few mins can be a little choppy but they play settles in.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament is better, as you said after a long time the ante and the blinds eats your pretty quick
it also depends on how long is this late registration and the blind structure
in my opinion the most important to evaluate if you want to enter the tournament after it starts, is the blind structure, like if double every 10 minutes 15, you can think and come in a little later

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
I would always prefer to register before time, but start playing after about 15-20 minutes into the tourney.
My logic is that at the start Some players tend to go all in with any two cards and your own Ax could be at risk.

By starting a little late you don't lose much blinds too.:)

cyrilflorendooo

cyrilflorendooo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always join when starting chips match in 60 to 70 bb.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 20-30 big blinds you don't have a lot of options. Less than 20 even fewer options.

M

manitoba420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your essentially short stacking your self, and you cant rebuy when you do this. Need to catch cards quick. I use late reg about 3 levels in. If not just start the tournament

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost always prefer to join the game from beginning because i like to play the early stages ..it's cheap to see a lot of flops..

JopyJoost

JopyJoost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Registrating at Beginning or Near End of Late Registration

I have done both and there are pros and cons for either one. Players go all in on either one. If you register late most of the time you do not have many options so going all in is the only choice. The blinds are your enemy most of the time when registering late. Just hope you get lucky when going all in.

One thing I would mention, once you do go all in remember ALL YOUR HARD EARNED CHIPS are totally exposed to be taken.

Early registration I prefer the most as you have more options as to how to play properly. If a player goes all in I usually fold. If I do go all in it will be my decision to do so, but that happens far and few between.

The above comes from a player who only plays freerolls but if I win some money I play money tournaments and the same rules apply.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Most tournaments: register early so you got more chances to accumulate chips. Just placing in the money is not enough in the long run. You must win or a least place high relatively often.

One exception is satellite tournaments there you often get the same prize as the winner if you just survive the bubble. In them it can be better to register late.

bianconi_10

bianconi_10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first i thought joining tournaments with minutes left on late registration would give me better odds at finishing in the money, this is because late reg ends as soon as I join and the field is ever decreasing. No rebuys. I'm new to poker and using this strategy i finished 7th in a tourney with about 700 players
Recently this has not been very successful as the blind and ante sizes eat your chips pretty quick, you have to get the ball rolling straight away for any chance.
Just wondering, as a new player, if anyone has any thoughts or theories on what is the best time to start a tourney

I prefer to start at the beginning, because the deep game gives the advantage to those who can develop the post flop well. In addition, at the beginning of the tournament the fishs are still in droves in the tournament, towards the end of late the tournament is already going through the fishs and leaving only the best.