Range Adjustment in SB When BB is Sitting Out

H

HodCohen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've run into scenarios in large MTTs, especially early on and on the bubble where multiple players are sitting out. I once got seated where the full ring was sitting out. Rather than busting any of them, I would fold the blind to the smallest stack, then continue rapidly min raising to rip the blinds from the other stacks so that no new players would be seated. This was an extremely profitable adjustment, and netted me 4x my stack.

I'm considering adjustments in these scenarios beyond the dead money in the middle. I've noticed that a BB sitting out broadens the ranges of even early position villains. I've been adjusting by three betting lighter (as much as 45% against MP raisers) and so far it has been profitable. What I'm wondering about specifically here is just how profitable it is to make this adjustment against EP raisers. I believe that millage will vary more based on skill level of villain, but I think there's a bell distribution as skill goes up. Interested to hear any thoughts on adjusting to these empty seats, especially against early position aggression. It's clearly profitable to loosen up against CO, HJ, etc. UTG +2 is what I'd like to hear about.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes and no... freerolls/micro MTTs your broad range is going to get called or shoved on quite a bit, so you fold to shove and play out of position to call. :(

as far as better comp. goes, if you have a tight image or are appearing tight in their AI scope, then yeah, you are going to get a lot of folds, or call folds to your CB on flop as they miss.

Overall, you are going somewhere good with this, but you have to becareful when playing yahoos because you are vulnerable oop.

H

HodCohen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I think you have to take the hyper aggro games out of consideration here. ABC poker with a super tight range seems like the most profitable tactic in the micro / freeroll environment. In the low to mid stakes MTTs, I'm trying to think through what an appropriate 3bet range would be against UTG+1 through lojack. I think 45% is probably too broad here. I think the skill level of low stakes regs is too low for them to be reliably upping aggression against a dead blind, but mid stakes regs who make it to the bubble should be adjusting to that kind of situation and upping aggression as early as UTG+2. I don't know if generalizing that broadly is helpful, or if fundamental adjustments like that need to be villain specific to be useful. I don't have a large enough sample of random villains to feel strongly about it.