question about my ITM and ROI at micro-Mtts

rikoberto

rikoberto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello guys..i wanted to ask the following question a long time ago but i waited to reach a small sample of games,so i can have a better image.
So i played 2012 micro-MTTs in 93 full day sessions from April 2017 till now,with ABI 1.28$ in pokerstars.My ROI is 47.11% and ITM 20.73%.So is my ROI and ITM good or average/bad?What do you consider as a good ROI and ITM for micro-MTTs?Because i am kinda confused,reading here and there different opinions..Some people saying that anything above 30% is good,some support that at microstakes,ROI should be at least 50% and even 100% is totally achievable..Also sample of 2K games (considering that i mainly play in big to very big player pool) is not that big yet?
I ask mainly all of these,because i am in a dilemma if i am in good path so I should continue grinding (with that results),with even more volume and with BRM to increase my ABI or to make a total change and make a start at NL2 or Hyper Sngs...
Thanks in advance :)

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys..i wanted to ask the following question a long time ago but i waited to reach a small sample of games,so i can have a better image.
So i played 2012 micro-MTTs in 93 full day sessions from April 2017 till now,with ABI 1.28$ in Pokerstars.My ROI is 47.11% and ITM 20.73%.So is my ROI and ITM good or average/bad?What do you consider as a good ROI and ITM for micro-MTTs?Because i am kinda confused,reading here and there different opinions..Some people saying that anything above 30% is good,some support that at microstakes,ROI should be at least 50% and even 100% is totally achievable..Also sample of 2K games (considering that i mainly play in big to very big player pool) is not that big yet?
I ask mainly all of these,because i am in a dilemma if i am in good path so I should continue grinding (with that results),with even more volume and with BRM to increase my ABI or to make a total change and make a start at NL2 or Hyper Sngs...
Thanks in advance :)

I actually think your numbers are perfect.

Don't listen to any donkey that tells you your ROI should be 50%+. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I think 2k is a good number of tournaments and the stats reflect your level of play. I think what you are going to find is over time your stats will drop, don't let that bother you. You are right where you want to be. I have 15k+ tournaments and I'm sitting at 18% ITM and 30% ROI. What you really have to understand is that when you see people's stats:

1st. They can be skewed very easily. Someone could have gotten lucky and made a big cash resulting in an abnormally high ROI. They end up losing all their money back.

2nd. Probably 90% of poker players don't win anything at all. No one wants to admit that they are a break even or losing player, but over the long haul most are. That is how the rest of us win.

If you are turning a profit at 2k tournaments you need to slowly keep adding to your game and putting in the hours. No big changes and just enjoy being in the winners circle.

rikoberto

rikoberto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually think your numbers are perfect.

Don't listen to any donkey that tells you your ROI should be 50%+. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I think 2k is a good number of tournaments and the stats reflect your level of play. I think what you are going to find is over time your stats will drop, don't let that bother you. You are right where you want to be. I have 15k+ tournaments and I'm sitting at 18% ITM and 30% ROI. What you really have to understand is that when you see people's stats:

1st. They can be skewed very easily. Someone could have gotten lucky and made a big cash resulting in an abnormally high ROI. They end up losing all their money back.

2nd. Probably 90% of poker players don't win anything at all. No one wants to admit that they are a break even or losing player, but over the long haul most are. That is how the rest of us win.

If you are turning a profit at 2k tournaments you need to slowly keep adding to your game and putting in the hours. No big changes and just enjoy being in the winners circle.

Hello Karl and thank you very much for the answer.I was thinking that nobody will answer,as thread started to go below and still no respond..:)
So,about this subject:Your words is a huge boost for me,because a skillfull player as u with 15K played MTTs and 30% ROI (!!!!) says me that i am in good path and my numbers are fine.Thats really says a lot to me..You know,every poker player has own dilemma often about his playing ability.If his scores was because of pure luck or not,if Mtt format suits him,if he needs to change path and grind something else like Cash,Sngs,Spins or even quit Poker.Its something that often i am thinking.
Thats why i decided to write this post exactly when i was in a normal downswing and not in my top days,to have a more realistic ROI%(also just yesterday i reached the 2K Mtts,and this is the main reason)..
EDIT:tonight i had a very good grinding day winning a 2.2$ satellite for 55$ SCOOP 150K$ GTD High roller and it is the biggest MTT i play in my life..Very nice experience,facing regs with 100k $ profit,and doing really fine for my level..Finally finished 102th in 5997 playerpool,cashed 288$ and really happy for the feeling to play such a tournament,far away from my stakes..(this boosts even more my ROI% but i will not be result oriented ofc)..I stick to my strategy,grinding micros,studying and improving my game as i can because i have really a lot to learn and ofc ask better players like you for example about my progress..:)
Thank you once again for answer,i wish every luck at tables!Greetings from Greece :)

Last edited:
K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
200 tournaments = luck

2000 tournaments = skill

As the years progress it becomes harder and harder to keep your ROI up. Like everyone I've had a 200% ROI at points, 100%, 50%, but those numbers aren't realistic. The more you move up the harder it is to keep your ROI and ITM up. Its a guide, not something to worry a lot about. I know people that would give anything to have a 5 or 10% ROI. I wouldn't change anything, just keep building a bankroll.

As far as being a "better player", I just keep trying to learn a little more each day like most here at the forum. I really think its great you have a positive ROI with 2K games. Stay the course.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't really know how much the ROI should be, but 20% ITM is very good imo; if you reach FT in 10% of the cases then it's a very good percentage.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ROI / hour

do you also track your $/hour when you do this? i am really new to playing online but it seems to me for that's the main number that would matter if i was playing for a living so to speak.

it also seems like it would be relevant how many tables you handle at a time. i guess i don't really know what kind of tracking is important at this stage for me. any advice?

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you also track your $/hour when you do this? i am really new to playing online but it seems to me for that's the main number that would matter if i was playing for a living so to speak.

it also seems like it would be relevant how many tables you handle at a time. i guess i don't really know what kind of tracking is important at this stage for me. any advice?

Tracking your $ hour really is done more in cash games than tournaments. I could play all week and on do a few small cashes. I might make .60 an hour. Then at the end of the week get a good win and all of a sudden it becomes 20.00 an hour. Unless you are looking at a large sample like a month+ it just isn't going to tell you much because of the big swings.

In a cash game, I personally track every hour every day. This is how I set my bankroll, sessions, tables, ect...