Question about all ins

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After coming back to poker, I have played a lot of small stake tournaments. Yes, many of these are freeroll till certain objectives are met in other areas of my life. I have not played larger stake tournaments recently, so not sure how often people do the same things they do at lower stakes.

This all said, I would like to understand the mentality of going all in, especially with rag cards. The first 15 minutes of many freerolls is me rolling my eyes as I watch people going all in with the oddest hands. Then there are the people who get either a face card or an ace and automatically go all in. Why do this? I honestly want to understand the mentality.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That's what happens in freerolls because people have nothing to lose.

You definitely won't see this in a tournament with a $10,000 buy-in. People like to throw out scenarios such as "you have AA in the first hand of the wsop ME and 5 people are all-in in front of you, would you call?" That kind of scenario would never happen in the Main Event, you can't win the tournament on the first hand but you can sure as hell bust out. You certainly could see two players go all-in on the first hand especially if they both had AA, but not over half the table.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw the same thing happen in a low stakes game. This is confusing to me because I believe you should be learning the game at all levels. I could just be getting old and dislike stupidity. Like Jonathan Little says, you may be winning, but that does not mean you are a good player.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they're shoving too deep with junk its stupidity.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just Hope You Get AA early in FreeRoll...

then you can take advantage (fingers crossed) of the early non-sense...

Sure, we would all prefer that everyone played a FreeRoll like it was a $10k Main Event, but reality is the buy in is Zero $... so you are going to get... I am guessing 15-25% of the entries that just sign up because they can, and play very wreckless... if they go out, no big deal to them, if they wreck your game, again no big deal to them. If they win and start to get a chipstack, perhaps they are capable of playing more responsibly.

Oh Well, That is just the way it goes...

Best of Luck CSLysander and All,

CheezeWiz

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After coming back to poker, I have played a lot of small stake tournaments. Yes, many of these are freeroll till certain objectives are met in other areas of my life. I have not played larger stake tournaments recently, so not sure how often people do the same things they do at lower stakes.

This all said, I would like to understand the mentality of going all in, especially with rag cards. The first 15 minutes of many freerolls is me rolling my eyes as I watch people going all in with the oddest hands. Then there are the people who get either a face card or an ace and automatically go all in. Why do this? I honestly want to understand the mentality.

I think the answer is very simple. Most players do not appreciate freerolls because it is a free tournament. And basically, these players just spend their money on the game, instead of building and increasing their bankroll.

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could just regard them as totally brainless idiot. But you know, in poker there are other factors except odds. Like position. In good position you can guess the cards of opponent in some degree and put some pressure, too. But as you saw, there are many idiots in poker world. Just they are brainless. That's all.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many players who have played a session of several hours and at the same time losing money or losing the bankroll in general just want to play more and play with any hands.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think it's because many freerolls will only pay out if you finish in the top couple of percent of players. So at the start of the tournament it's very unlikely that you're going to win anything, and by shoving all in you either bust out and avoid "wasting" time on a tournament that is very hard to get money out of, or else you double up and have significantly increased your chances of winning.

So I think the mentality is that they try to maximize their return on time invested by going bust early (so not investing much time) or doubling up a few times and then playing properly when they've got a reasonable chance of finishing in the money.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's because many freerolls will only pay out if you finish in the top couple of percent of players. So at the start of the tournament it's very unlikely that you're going to win anything, and by shoving all in you either bust out and avoid "wasting" time on a tournament that is very hard to get money out of, or else you double up and have significantly increased your chances of winning.

So I think the mentality is that they try to maximize their return on time invested by going bust early (so not investing much time) or doubling up a few times and then playing properly when they've got a reasonable chance of finishing in the money.

I have played and won more than one freeroll without going all in. I have also moneyed several the same way until I was too short chipped. Basically, it is sounding like patient players can make people make many mistakes

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Why do this?

It depends. Some people don't know how to play and that's just what they do. This group gets lucky but really won't last long.

Some better players (used loosely) understand that if you have 2 live cards you are 60/40 and why not take a chance to get a big stack and continue to pick off the fish.

You get what you put in. If you want to play a freeroll you are going to get a low quality of play. Play in a 25 or 50 dollar tournament and you won't find this problem often.

Try to find a happy medium

B

bonart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to dodge all the flak, unless I have a definite Nut. But even nuts still fall foul to some silly hands.

So, it will be good luck and clever dodging to get through to the ITM and that is when it should be more poker stuff.

Good luck on your tables.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The expectation value is low just after the tournament starting, so speculative play is done.

By such thing.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think all in are very common in freerolls with cards like A because the levels increase faster than in other tournaments, I think this is something that we should take advantage of. If we are patient in freerolls we will get better results

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

These are freerolls. And you can expect a "free style" type of play. You won't see enough check and balance status.
But, when you invest in buy-in, the free style vanishes. The urge to stay in the tournament keeps you checked and desire to get some return makes your actions balanced.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What for? To get a lot of chips. Everything is simple, if you are lucky enough to get chips. Then Allin again. Took a lot of chips then you can sit and play carefully to get to the prizes. But all people are different. Some people thus enjoy the anticipation of drawing a large number of chips. these are gambling people.

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
people playing in a freeroll do not think about the lost money, therefore, for the sake of interest, they can go with any hand in any situation, in a freeroll the main start of the tournament is to endure, then the fools will be eliminated and the game will enter

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played in a qualifier where the buy-in was $ 1000. I would not say that the players played differently as if the buy-in was $ 10. There were also all-ins with small pocket pairs and unnecessary bluffs. I think that only those for whom 1000 dollars a little money could play this way.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that such players do not have the patience for a long and thoughtful game, it is easier for them to risk everything and either fly out and not waste their time, or double down and get an advantage in the tournament. I can't imagine any other objective reasons.