Hero 4bet jam QQ (43bb eff)

Is this considered good or bad play?

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would likely play this the same way. A raise to 10-12bb if called leaves an SPR of 1. This allows the the opponent to play perfect against you on the flop against hands that you would otherwise be stacking (JJ, TT) or put you in an uncomfortable spot on the flop should an overcard hit.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, you definitely need to play re-raise and raise even higher. but no more than 10bb, because seeing a flop, it will be A difficult decision to fold if the opponent puts all in, but you have a good Bank, and I think all in preflop against your opponents in this situation is a good decision for you! The main thing is not to let an opponent with a bad card see the flop.

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing is to get more information about your situation. Is this a nine handed table or are you playing full ring sngs these are they players in the pot? Second if you are four handed are there any ICM implications? For example is this a sng where three people get paid and this is the bubble. Aside from that I don't think this is a bad play but there may be a couple more profitable plays.

With the villain being the only player to have you covered a 4 bet to 10 big blinds is an option. The villains raise is technically an open and your jam is the 3 bet since the other two limped. This size will prevent you from being six bet if the UTG limper shoves since they only have 12 big blinds forcing the villain into a call or fold spot.

Another option is to just flat call the villains raise. This is more of a pot control move and leaves the door open for the UTG limper to call or shove. If they shove you will get more information on the villains hand depending on what they do and if ICM is in play you could make a tight fold to a villain reshove if it puts you in the money.

I do make the assumption the the player with six big blinds is just going to go with their hand in this spot. But either way his hand is pretty irrelevant given their stack size.

Again this is not to say what you did was a bad play but gives you a couple more options given the spot you were in. Knowing nothing about the villain raising from this spot against those stacks just screams strength and by slowing down just a little you could realize more of the equity of your hand by using your position on him to your advantage.

Hope this helps.

UTG +1 limps (12bb eff)

BTN limps (6bb eff)

Villain 3bet to 4bb (36bb eff)

Hero 4bet jam QQ (43bb eff)

Is this considered good or bad play?

Last edited:
LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First question is supposed to be is this four handed, or full table with four players in the pot.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with some others that we would need to know if this is a SnG with 4 players left or is this a full ring table with only 4 players in the pot? Plus money bubble would make some difference here too if we were right on the bubble to the person or two.

My opinion about this hand is that not knowing the above answers, jamming is the best play. Calling is going to leave you multi way and will make you give up quite often when there is an Ace or King on the board. You will be facing a c bet more than likely from the SB if you just call so if an A or K comes are you planning to fold or peel a street? You need to know the answer to that question before you make a decision pre flop here. Calling behind here also could lead to one of the limpers (since action is not closed) to jamming which will more than likely lead to SB jamming and we would be calling. That is not a problem per se but if that is a somewhat likely result of this hand then why don’t we utilize some fold equity that we have with QQ and jam ourselves? Over calling here removes that fold equity for you.

I really dislike raising here to 10-12 BB because it commits you to the pot and if you know that then you should just jam. Safe to assume that the SB will be calling you if you make that raise of 10-12BB and the 6 BB stack will call as well at a minimum. That leaves you with a pot sized bet left heading to the flop. If an A or K flops now I think we still have to rep it and c bet which would commit us to the pot. Pre flop raising to something smaller like 8BB does not make sense as then SB will always be calling. The only way I can see the 10-12BB raise as a decent play is if you think SB will fold to a jam but call the 10-12BB raise and then you plan to jam any flop no matter what. You might get more value from certain opponents making this move rather than jamming. I still like the jam, though, because with this hand more than likely by the end we are getting all of our chips in the middle anyway.