QQ On the bubble

F

Forkliftgu22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

How should I play QQ UTG on the bubble short stacked about 5BB if I fold I should make the money?

Full table standard turbo tournament everybody at the my table has over 30BB.

Thanks

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Well, I once heard from Jonathan Little that the only time one should fold big hands on the bubble is when he is very short stacked and folding into a min cash is objectively the best one can do.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It's a shame to fail at any stage of the game. However, this is especially painful on the bubble, because there is nothing left before the cash reward. It is easier psychologically to survive the loss at the beginning of the tournament. But the fact that you did not get to the prize places is only your fault. Because no one wants to be a bubble boy. So players with a small amount of chips wait for the end of the bubble so that they can take a break.

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on prize structure as well. Generally I would go all-in, especially on my MTTs which are smallish field so by folding you can't be 100% to cash and usually at least lose good chunk of your remaining chips.

Even if you get called, you're favorite to win the hand against callers range.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the size of the prize money, but in my opinion it's a chance to double, if you go in with one player there's nothing to think about, if it doesn't work out, then you're out of luck, what can you do about it, right or wrong, everyone decides for himself, I never fold such a hand

F

Forkliftgu22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your responses

I did go all in and crashed out to to a random ace I accept this and would probably do the same again.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thanks for your responses

I did go all in and crashed out to to a random ace I accept this and would probably do the same again.
IMO the right decision to go all in. The odds with QQ are too good and the chance to make a big step forward to the FT covers the lost min cash

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would most likely shove queens preflop because its a very strong hand to fold preflop and also 5bb is enough to make most players fold their hands specially near the bubble. you can also try to stall the game and wait for the bubble to burst and then shove with the queens...

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG is the worst position, even with premium hands we must play carefully...
if the buy in is small, i will shove all in.. if the buy in is big i'll fold and take the money to play in another tourney....

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless making this mincash is vital to your BR I dont see any reason to fold
such a strong hand even if you knew the whole table will flat and check
down all the way.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
With a small stack, even if you are on the bubble, go all in, because your stack does not give you the chance of waiting. Also the QQ is a good pair for all in.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not all the information about the tournament and the players that you need to know to determine the tactics of the game in this case. If this is not a knockout tournament and there are no other tables, then you can make an all-in. It will look strong enough. Of course, there is a chance to see a stronger pair from the opponent, but waiting with such a small stack when one of the opponents leaves the tournament is almost impossible.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
If first prizes are few cents and I have small stack, then I play with QQ. But my experience say to me that I should wait, if I can.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi

How should I play QQ UTG on the bubble short stacked about 5BB if I fold I should make the money?

Thanks
There are a few of things to consider:

What is your objective?
Are you looking to win tournaments or min-cash? If this is a higher level buy-in tournament than you're used to playing because you took a shot, or satellited in, then folding an virtually guaranteeing a min-cash can be seen as a major result for you. But if you're playing a regular tournament at your regular buy-in, is min-cashing really that important? One final table is likely equal to 10 or 20 or more min cashes. Sacrificing a min-cash for the possibility of a deep run is almost always worth it in my eyes.

What is the payout structure?
If you're in a HUGE MTT where 100's of players get paid, clinging on to the min cash might be the best option. For example, if 900 players get paid $1 for min-cashing and the next payout jump is 800th for £1.15, then the likelihood is that even if you do double up, you're still only going to win $1. So folding out everything and using your timebank wisely, is probably the best option. If however 18 get paid $1 and the next pay jump is at 15th for $2, then trying to double up and push for the bigger payouts would be my preferred options.

What is the average stack size?
Let's use your example where you have 5bb, so if you win the all in, you'll have around 12bb once you factor in the blinds and antes. Where would this leave you in the tournament? Are you still one of the shortest stacks or is every left in fair short as well and 12bb would put you in the top 10 places? For me, if I have the opportunity to get right back in the mix, I'm going to take this spot every time. In your situation, I would be folding as 12bb would still leave me the shortest stack at the table, so it stands to reason there's plenty of others left in the tournament with a lot more chips.

The outcome doesn't matter.
I know that's not a question, but you do need to remind yourself of this. If you shove QQ with 5bbs it is a profitable play and with no bubble or ICM conditions it's a total no-brainer. However, nothing in poker is a dead cert, so you might run into Aces or Kings, or you might get sucked out on when the BB calls with 96o and hits runner runner for a straight or 2 pair or 4 cards to a flush. It happens. You just need to know that you made the right play and if you had your moment again, you would do exactly the same thing. Poker isn't about winning every hand, it's about putting yourself in the best position you can and let the cards do the rest.

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
What's your objective exactly? -if it's just making the money not to win tournaments then it's a fold and also considering the buy-in if it's micro-low the min cashing is pretty nothing compared to making the FT per exemple.
I think you it takes many factors into consideration, number of players - stacks etc...

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QQ is Top 3% of the hand, if its a satellite you can fold as your aim is to survive for the ticket but if it's a normal MTT game, it's all-in as your guarantied 50% increase stacks when everyone fold and double up when you win.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how expensive the tournament is. But in general, with such a card you can do in all-in.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not go all-in with QQ on the bubble. And if there were K or A on the board, I would just fold.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I want to consider two things. First: if you have a little higher stack (15bb) will you play it? I ask it because if you open raise 3bb from the UTG and have a re-raise would you fold?

Second: how was the table? more agressive or passive.

If the table was passive I would go all in.

In my opinion these are the main things you've to consider.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Barring some sort of extreme situation (like a satellite or some sort of massive overlay on the prize pool), you shouldn't really consider folding QQ with 5 BB.

I mean...c'mon! ;)

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If min cash is what you aim for and think is important for you it's definitely a fold but if you hope to play deeper and the min cash won't matter it's a shove

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi

Thanks
Last night, I got busted out with kings four places off the money. Eztrapolate from that.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter what is at stake, I always play with QQ.When I go to play a tournament my goal is the final table so I don't see the point in folding QQ on the bubble.On rare occasions I might fold this hand, but that's another story;)

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi

Thanks
It's really hard to play in this situation on the bubble, but knowing that everyone at your table has more than 30bb, I would risk all-in, even though the odds are against me,

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on how im feeling.For example,if feeling patient i will definently fold,but otherwise i would always call.