Push fold chart

T

trickyldp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi friends, lately I have been noticing that I have not been getting paid off shoving preflop, even with premium hands. I’m wondering when you guys would push preflop or not. Would you push KK first hand of a tournament?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im never open jamming KK first hand of a tournament if that is what you are asking. Hands like KK or other premium hands should be played to get max value. If you are in a freeroll tournament you may have an argument for shoving as many in those could call with any two. In a buy in tournament, these hands always need to be played for value and should be raised the "normal" amount and then extract as much as you can post flop. Otherwise, jamming first hand in a buy in tournament will lead to folds unless you are super lucky to get someone with QQ or super unlucky to get someone with AA.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen it work past 60 bb, people think you've got middling pair, so argument could be made for shoving but optimal play is ofc to raise big

R

Rad210

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't jam! Raise to your standard size and go from there. If they 3-bet you, 4-bet. Go for max value post-flop. No point trying to get paid playing BINGO poker.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are losing tons of value open jamming KK for more than 12-17bb. Especially a fresh tournament start - what do you expect to call you?? AK? You block the hell out of that combo! Pretty unlikely the opponent wakes up with QQs but I guess you get action there and once in a blue moon you're gonna find that hand that snap calls you and your opponent rolls over AA.

It's just much more standard annnnd BENEFICIAL to raise the KKs normally preflop and play post flop accordingly. Remember, as strong as kings are, you're still gonna see that Ace roll around about 30% of the time. Good luck in your games

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally the answer is a categorical no. at the start of the game I am content to play the game of reduced variance. which means that I try to avoid flip and put everything on one hand as much as possible. I try to manage the pot and I play this type of hand normally like any other hand. this may seem a bit loose but in the long term. it is a good strategy to increase your performance. of course there are exceptions to the rule because it also depends on the situation and the style of play of your opponents.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First hand of the tournament? No.

About the only time I'll push all in with KK is when my chips are under 10BB or right after I lose a big hand. The hand after I lose a big pot, someone might see my immediate shove as a tilt and call me with a lower pair or high connected suited.

Like others have said, any shove in pre-flop is situational and should be rare.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm not big on shoving unless I'm short stacked and the blinds are getting big. I just think it's stupid to risk your whole game on a flip of the cards. It doesn't matter what your hole cards are when you're playing people looking to grow a stack with any 2 cards in their hands. Like everyone else said, if you've got great cards you're better off growing the pot. If you're always shoving, people are going to start calling you more with less as well, increasing your chances of getting burned.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It would not be recommended, in the middle of the tournament with less than 15bb it is logical to push. You have to get the best out of these hands.

Folding in Poker