vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I read the book "Sit 'n Go Strategy" by Collin Moshman and I liked one hand that might surprise your opponents. But I'm interested in the actions of the players and what actions we are take in this situation in order to analyze and act non-standard later.

blinds 20-40, 10 players
MP2: you 1.940 have QQ
Action to you: UTG (2000) raises to 120. The next two players fold.
MP1 1820 calls.​

what is your move?
author response:
raise to 450. with two opponents and an excellent, yet vulnerable, starting hand, you need to make a large raise. Winning the 300 pot immediately is a fine result, and if not, you want to limit the field to at most 1 to 2 opponents whom you have forced to make unprofitable calls.

action:
you raise to 450. all fold back to the initial raiser, who calls, as does MP1. (There are three players and 1.410 in the pot)

flop:
:ks4: :kc4: :9h4:
action:
utg bets 600. MP1 folds.

question: What is your play?
author response:
Raise all-in. You very likely have the best hand. If your opponent acrually had a king, he would almost certainly check since you were the pre-flop aggressor and even beginners tend to slow-play in these situations. Why would he make a big bet with flopped trips on a board with no obvious draws, against the pre-flop aggressor? In addition, the pot is a huge 2.000, and your reraise makes you the aggressor. The above analysis is useful in many situations. If you are the pre-flop aggressor and an opponent bets out unexpectedly at the flop, the he is very unlikely to have a monster hand. With a good hand, he might be betting for a value or to protect his hand. But with a monster and the reasonable expectation you will bet, the vast majority of players will slow-play by checking to you in this situation. Note that if there were still players behind you when the 600 bet was made, you would probably have to fold since one of those active players might be sitting on a king, or other strong hand, even if the initial bettor is on a stone bluff.

Tell your answer first, and then see the author's answer :call2::icon_king​

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would 3-bet here, but I can see calling being a viable option as well, especially if UTG is tight, or there are very aggressive players behind. On the flop I would go all in. The SPR is only around 1, and the lead looks bluffy. We could be behind to a hand like AK, but Villain with also have hands like TT-JJ or just complete air. In a cash game I would be inclined to just call and allow him to hang himself on the turn. But in a SnG I dont think, Villain will continue to bluff, and he could have some equity with a gutshot or an overcard.