Probably just venting, but...

S

StatusOmega525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing a freeroll or two on a daily basis for a bit now, and that first hour drives me absolutely up the wall. Obviously given the free pass into the tourney, mixed with the generally small prize pool, I can see how a lot of players would treat them with less than total seriousness. Some of the things I've seen are just insane, though. At least two people per table trying to push all in on every hand until they eventually bust or clear out a table. I've busted out of at least a half dozen with hands like QQ or better, while they go all in with hands like 62offsuit. I know suckouts happen, but I'm sure some of these people would call with a 7 and the little instruction card that comes in the box with the deck. So far the only way I found to try to avoid it is to sit out a few levels (in which case you lose chips over time) or to take late registration as late as possible and sit out for an orbit (which puts you quite a ways down from the chipleaders). I mean, other than private freerolls like cardschats there's no real way around it, so mostly I'm just venting. Lol. How do you guys deal with the constant shovers?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to deal with it is to adjust your call off range accordingly and then laugh and sit on your throne as u print money vs people who don't care

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to be ready to gamble with these players to accumulate chips and have a better chance to make the money. At the same time don't get sucked into their game of shipping all your chips with weaker hands. Better luck to you.

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play really tight. Yeah 62o is gonna get there some times, but shipping QQ against people who are playing like this is really +EV. Play tight and get it in good. Most of the time just playing super tight will get you into the last 25% of the field.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Do not think these guys are your opponents, they are your source of more chips :top:

Giovanni Planas

Giovanni Planas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be ready to gamble with these players to accumulate chips and have a better chance to make the money.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6-2? That's jus bonkers! Now 6-4,,,,were're cookin!! :star: Suited? All-in,All day! :icon_boun

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good preparation for micro stakes, it's almost identical

xkenjix

xkenjix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
youre going to get sucked-out on more than normal in freerolls, in the times you hold, youre going to get mass amount of chips, push ur strong hands, dont bluff as much, the good $ is in top 3 anyway. dont just try to cash for the mind

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At ACR I just call the all ins with some suited cards or a pair and hope for the best. Their tournaments are like a new one every 45 minutes so if I go out right away I just find something else to do. I like the cc freerolls though A lot less preflop all ins there.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The allin monkeys really make freerolls frustrating. You have the right idea- make it to the later levels when all these fools are gone and they the tournament starts playing a bit more like poker.

B

BadluckBubba

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing a freeroll or two on a daily basis for a bit now, and that first hour drives me absolutely up the wall. Obviously given the free pass into the tourney, mixed with the generally small prize pool, I can see how a lot of players would treat them with less than total seriousness. Some of the things I've seen are just insane, though. At least two people per table trying to push all in on every hand until they eventually bust or clear out a table. I've busted out of at least a half dozen with hands like QQ or better, while they go all in with hands like 62offsuit. I know suckouts happen, but I'm sure some of these people would call with a 7 and the little instruction card that comes in the box with the deck. So far the only way I found to try to avoid it is to sit out a few levels (in which case you lose chips over time) or to take late registration as late as possible and sit out for an orbit (which puts you quite a ways down from the chipleaders). I mean, other than private freerolls like cardschats there's no real way around it, so mostly I'm just venting. Lol. How do you guys deal with the constant shovers?

I have been trying to figure this out for 3 years. Ive asked the same question numerous times and the answers though helpful and appreciated are all the same. Its variance. Eventually it will come back around in good runs. Be happy you got your money in right and dont worry about the results etc.

Here is the truth as I see it. Play to have fun and expect to lose 50% of the time even when you know you have your opponent beat as long as there are streets left to hit the board. There is no out of bounds number or percentage at which the suckouts will cease or go the opposite direction. This doesnt mean you cant still have great fun as I do and they are free after all.

Yesterday alone I finished 12 out of 691, 16 out of 601, 19 out of 702, 16 out of 655 and the only in the money was 9th out of 688. Every single had that sent me out of each of those tournys I was ahead or way ahead in. Today my only tournys was QQ vs A5 they hit an Ace on the turn. Another one of those every hand players jamming every hand. I had some chips from another win and played 66 against him. Caught a 6 on the flop on a very dry board, they jammed again with 97 suited no pairs no draws and hit runner runner flush. My AK diamonds ran into AK hearts and they flushed me out lol. Another tourny AK suited vs A3 they spiked the 3.

The fact these folks play like this can be answered several ways like free to play. No skin in the game. Want to chip up big early or not waste the time etc. But many of these type players play like this the entire tourny and often have monster stacks..........Because they are use to getting bailed out enough that it is actually + ev.

Have fun regardless but dont destroy your brain trying to figure out how or why on those freerolls like I have.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Call them down looser than in usual situations and print money.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like free rolls, you cant loose.
You play, and if you are lucky you win some money or you loose and newer mind.:)