Preflop Strategy

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So - for the past 3 years I've employed a TAG style for my style of play.
I do NOT defend my big blind wide (this is what pros what you to do and I refuse) - and I do not call down 3 bets very wide. Every once in a while I might call with AJ suited, or pocket 88s. But that is my cutoff. I have played pretty tight for a long while.
And just to note - in this 'style' my standard open size is 2.3-2.5x bb. When I 3bet it is always 6.6x bb or once in a while 5 or just 6x bb, or 3 times the pot. My 3betting strategy is TT+ and AK.

Last week I decided to adhere to a 2.5x open. I have to say - this made me even tighter preflop, but I thought I was making ITM more often.
It turns out - it is a wash - ITM was exactly the same as my previous TAG style, over the week.

This week I have started something new. Some would call it a fishy LAG style I think. I'm limping about 48% of hands - and I'm 4-8x opening the same range.

This style - I have adopted - requires a big set of balls for sure. I'm calling 3bets nearly every hand - 3betting EXTREMELY wide - and folding not very often. I'm taking one pair to the river - and if I hit 2 pair or luck into a flush/straight - its money. I'm opening and calling with what my TAG self would consider junk. J/5 suited, 5/3 suited, T/4 SOOTED, A/9 off etc etc .

I'm also OVERBETTING the turn and river no less than 50% of the time. So far - MONEY!!!!

So far - LOL I have cashed for 3x my normal weekly average, and I have accumulated massive stacks in EVERY event I have played.
The bad beats are pretty brutal - it is ALWAYS a set versus my 2 pair or top pair or nut flush draw on the flop. But hey - its really been a fun week.

Interested in everyones input. I'm normally a TIGHT ASS GUY (TAG) lol but recently - I've been experimenting. Not gonna lie - I really enjoy the action the 45-50% VPIP brings me!!

All input welcome - except for cranky NIT suggestions. You can keep em to your self.

Last edited:
jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother
I really liked your publication, finally someone who comes out of the box, I like your style.
If it works for you, go ahead!
Look, I'm a soccer and basketball lover. A coach can spend an entire week teaching his team how to score a Michael Jordan or a Diego Maradona. It was time for the game and Jordan scored 53 points and Maradona scored you 3 goals and all the coach's schemes went to waste.
When you take to poker you make the opening indicated according to the manuals, which from UTG like that, in MP like that, in BB like that and others with AA in your hand and it occurred to a villain that with his 22 in his hand he could beat you, pay and get 227 on the flop and your story of Ases is over.
Be careful, I also read a lot about strategies, and it fascinates me when the guys here on the forum analyze hands and other things, but I am also very clear that poker is a card game and like in any game there is also luck. This isn't chess.
Here you did everything right and on the river the card came out for your opponent and it was all over.
You have to understand that you have to do things right, but luck must also accompany you.
If your system pays off and profits, keep it up. I at least support you.
Health;););) (y) (y) (y) (y)

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
i think it is all about the postflop skills, if you got an edge post flop against the field better play very wide and take advantage of it)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its interesting that you experiment things
Since I play micros and low buy-ins - I can afford too. I also think its good to change things up every now and then and experiment. I can say - I'm pretty certain I got folds from some of the REGS that I play with on a regular basis - because they KNOW I'm never overbetting T/R without the nuts. :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello brother
I really liked your publication, finally someone who comes out of the box, I like your style.
If it works for you, go ahead!
Look, I'm a soccer and basketball lover. A coach can spend an entire week teaching his team how to score a Michael Jordan or a Diego Maradona. It was time for the game and Jordan scored 53 points and Maradona scored you 3 goals and all the coach's schemes went to waste.
When you take to poker you make the opening indicated according to the manuals, which from UTG like that, in MP like that, in BB like that and others with AA in your hand and it occurred to a villain that with his 22 in his hand he could beat you, pay and get 227 on the flop and your story of Ases is over.
Be careful, I also read a lot about strategies, and it fascinates me when the guys here on the forum analyze hands and other things, but I am also very clear that poker is a card game and like in any game there is also luck. This isn't chess.
Here you did everything right and on the river the card came out for your opponent and it was all over.
You have to understand that you have to do things right, but luck must also accompany you.
If your system pays off and profits, keep it up. I at least support you.
Health;););) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Thanks for the input Jonas. Yes totally agree with all your comments.

I think I might employ different strategies on different days. To keep my opponents guessing. :) There are a high number of decent regulars I play with, so with changing things up - they won't be able to know if I'm bluffing, if I have da nuts, or what I'm doing and what day it is!! lol

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Thanks for the contribution Jonah. Yes, I totally agree with all your comments.

I think I could employ different strategies on different days. To keep my opponents guessing.:) There are a lot of decent regulars I play with, so changing things, they won't be able to tell if I'm lying, if I'm crazy or what I'm doing and what day it is! ! Hahaha
Hahahaha go ahead brother
Here you have in me an admirer of yours.
Look, I remembered another anecdote. If I remember correctly, when the computer program played chess against Kasparov, they said that the great champion could not beat him.
Just imagine, the program with millions of movements and archived situations had answers for any movement to make it more convenient for your game.
Until Kasparov made a move in a movement that destabilized the program. What happened??? This move by the great Kasparov had never been done by anyone, only Kasparov's improvisation at the exact moment that ended with the game won by Kasparov.
Being different is what makes great personalities great.
As I told you brother, I respect poker manuals and strategies, I also read a lot and watch videos, but I don't think everything is so manual, as I told you, luck exists even if your chance is minimal, it never ceases to be a possibility.
When I see the bad luck Jennifer Harmon had on this hand, that's where you think luck also exists for you and for others.
Greetings brother and thank you for responding to my comment. I'm glad you like it;););) (y) (y) (y) (y) :addict: :addict: :addict: