Preflop Simple Strategy for Newcomers

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many newcomers are looking for a simple guide to start learning to play poker MTTs PREFLOP.

NOTHING advanced that may require reads or skill AT ALL!!!!!!

So just for them I'm posting this thread and welcome any insights from other CC members

Preflop only 9-10 seats

Start by playing strictlyAA,KK,QQ,AK suited, JJ ,1010, AQ suited AJ suited KQ suited

Wait for a top ten hand always raise 3x+ and/or reraise 2.5x+ /possibly all in preflop.
Fold Kq and AJ to preflop raises

fold everything else alot ,
no suited connectors,
no small pairs........... unless under 10bbs and shoving all in preflop
fold fold fold alot
When under 10 BB in cutoff or button position Shove all in with any Ax+ k10+ hoping for a blind steal.

This will only get you so far as an ABC strategy in 10-9 man tables

Beware*
This ABC strategy will make you completely predictable to great players

short handed play
understanding your opponents strategy tendancys and tells is another story Against low stakes opponents they are usually too involved in what cards they have as to notice an opponents PFR frequency or range.

Phill hellmuth wrote a small 2-4 page chapter on how to win MTTS in his book Phill Hellmuth's guide to limit holdem is definitely the greatest read I've had for poker GT.
there is no shortcut to this infinite game.
Some people are learning to play the cards while others are now learning to play without them.

Have fun out there its a big ocean

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many newcomers are looking for a simple guide to start learning to play poker MTTs PREFLOP.

So just for them I'm posting this thread and welcome any insights from other CC members

Preflop only 9-10 seats

Start by playing strictlyAA,KK,QQ,AK suited, JJ ,1010, AQ suited AJ suited KQ suited

Wait for a top ten hand always raise 3x+ and/or reraise 2.5x+ /possibly all in preflop.

no suited connectors,
fold fold fold alot
When under 10 BB in cutoff or button position Shove all in with any Ax+ k10+ hoping for a blind steal.

Beware*

short handed play
understanding your opponents strategy tendancys and tells is another story Against low stakes opponents they are usually too involved in what cards they have as to notice an opponents PFR frequency or range.

Phill hellmuth wrote a small 2-4 page chapter on how to win MTTS in his book Phill Hellmuth's guide to limit holdem is definitely the greatest read I've had for poker GT.
Some people are learning to play the cards while others are now learning to play without them.

so 9/10 handed you advise People to Play only 5% of the hands. mathematically seen, you are going to blind out instead of double up.
10 handed you have to win 1 Hand/Orbit to maintain your stack, which means you have to Play AT LEAST 10% of your Hands.
so by playing only 5%, you will Play 1 Hand per 2 Orbits and therefor just pay too many blinds and Antes.

sure, the strategy is simple and should work, but most People will end up shoving 10bb after 1-2hours and thinking that they are Card dead. the truth is, they just have to Play more hands.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used this strategy to get 3rd at a live tournament Basically playing just 8 hands. Betting big preflop and mostly using a preflop strategy Winning blinds and small pots and staying alive in the tournament at around 10-40BB through the various stages of the tournament I just waited for premium cards and yes it was ABC but I got respect from other players I bet big BB and won 5 /8 uncontested preflop as table knew I had a narrow range and was tight and aggressive preflop. I was fortunate that most of time no one reraise me as yes I was willing to fold AJ or similar I got flatten by deep stack twice and had to play postflop I had to bluff that I hit the flop. So basically the deep stacks know I am playing premium cards and if there are high cards on the flop. I had to bet big. If there are low cards. Then deeper stacks can float or be holding a set. Fortunately I won my two postflop plays By the time I got to the final table it was late at night. The other stacks were deeper than mine. I thought I would get knocked out early or forced to make a move at 5-10x BB which is what happened. The deep stack must have some egos or needed to get home to sleep as they knocked each other out really quickly By the time the dust settled it was down to two deep stacks and me at 8x BB I saw A-7 This was premium hand at short table. and one of the stacks just happened to have AQ and I was knocked out. So that was the 8th hand I played
I wanted to open my range up at the final table as players got knocked out start playing like Q10 and Ax
when I got A7 I went for it
Satisfied with my play. I was observing the play the entire night and really only played once every two cycles on average. Final table didn’t last very long maybe two cycles as I said players were very active and knocked each other out
I think the disadvantage playing this method is that postflop against a deep stack will flatten and know your range. The other disadvantage is playing for blinds and folds preflop and can’t really develop big stack that way unless double up and win an all in

Last edited:
F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If your 2 cards are the same number, bet...

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so 9/10 handed you advise People to Play only 5% of the Hands. mathematically seen, you are going to blind out instead of double up.
10 handed you have to win 1 Hand/Orbit to maintain your stack, which means you have to Play AT LEAST 10% of your Hands.
so by playing only 5%, you will Play 1 Hand per 2 Orbits and therefor just pay too many blinds and Antes.

sure, the strategy is simple and should work, but most People will end up shoving 10bb after 1-2hours and thinking that they are Card dead. the truth is, they just have to Play more hands.

I agree. Truth is tourneys should be played by people who understand you have to be aggressive. The guy below who made it to a final table playing 8 hands definitely isn't the norm. I would of identified him as a NIT and challenged him most of the time because power of chips is a real thing. Add luck and a pair is squat. Specially online. He could have aces every time he played and if hes short stacked ill pay with decent hand to look at the flop. Might even challenge him all in pre flop. Maybe not.

I would tell them to use the above CONCEPT to build a bank roll at cash tables. Might have same issues being identified as a NIT but you can change tables until everybody has notes on you that your a NIT.

Just a opinion don't shoot the messenger.:captain:

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
8-max 100bb 2.5x open, 3.5x 3bet ip+ callers, 4.5x 3bet oop+callers, IP 4bet 2.3x, OOP 4Bet 2.75x. SB vs BB 3.2x, BB 9.2bb, SB 4bet 23.7bb. SB call, BB 3.5x, SB 3.4x (12), BB 2.3x (27.5).

8-max 60bb 12.5% Ante: 2.3x open, 3x 3bet IP +callers, 3.5x +callers SB 3bet, 4x+ callers BB 3bet. CC 3bets IP. Calls from each position, overcalls from CO. 4Bet 2.2 IP, 2.5 OOP. SB 3.2BB, BB 9.2bb, SB 18.2 or All in. SB Call, BB 3.5bb, SB 12bb or All in.

8-max 50bb 12.5% Ante: 2.3bb open, 3BET: 3x IP + callers, 4x OOP, OOP Squeeze 4.5x, IP 4bet 14bb or All in, OOP 4Bet 14.5bb or All in. SB vs BB 3.2bb, BB 8.8bb, SB 4bet All in. SB call, BB 3.5x, SB 11.5bb or All in.

8-max 40bb 12.5% Ante: 2.3x open, 3x 3bet IP +callers, 3.5x +callers SB 3bet, 4x+ callers BB 3bet. CC 3bets IP. Calls from each position, overcalls from CO. SB 3.2bb, BB 9.2bb, SB All in. SB Limp, BB 3.5bb, SB 3bet 11.5bb or All in.

8-max 30bb 12.5% Ante: 2.3bb, 3x 3bet IP, 3.5x from SB, 4x BB, Squeeze 3.5x IP, 4x SB, 4.3x bb. BTN limp

8-max 25bb 12.5% Ante: Limp, 2x Open, 2.8x ISO IP, 3.5x ISO OOP, 3x 3bet IP, 3.5x OOP.

8-max 20bb 12.5% Ante: Limp, min raise, all in open. 2.8x/all in iso sizing IP, 3.5/all in OOP, calls from BTN. 3bet, 4bet all in.

8-max 15bb 12.5% Ante: Limp, min raise, all in open. 2.8x/all in iso sizing IP, 3.5/all in OOP, calls from BTN. 3bet, 4bet all in.

8-max 10bb 12.5% Ante: Limp, 2x open, 2.5x iso IP vs LP limp, 2.8x OOP, All in 3bet.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Preflop only 9-10 seats

no suited connectors,
fold fold fold alot

Beware*

short handed play

Way too nitty! I have played a lot of tournaments where I would hit a hand from your range only once an hour, and I still get ITM.

Making threads like these is very good in terms of starting a discussion, not in terms of telling someone how they should play. For that, there has to be some stats to support your claim that this particular way of playing is good for beginners.

I am a great poker player, like ridiculously good, as I am profitable live and online throughout nearly 10 years of playing poker. Even with that, I would never create a thread where I definitively say what range should someone use, what hands should someone play etc.

You said that this range is predictable and will be figured by good players. While that really is the case, the biggest problem is huge VPIP online players tend to have.
If you decide to bet 4x (on the big side for protection) with the range you specified, you will still get called almost always by ton of connectors, suited or not, ton of PP, ton of Ax hands etc.

If someone is a beginner and is playing this range, I'd say they wouldn't be able to get away from their TPTK or overpair hands post flop in some obvious spots where their hand is losing.

Not to mention that winning with this style and range of hands really depends on how likely opponents are to call you with worse holdings pre flop, cause even very bad players won't call with air (nothing) post flop.

For future reference, don't ever use the work strictly when explaining poker. Every spot is situational and can have ton of possible outcomes and good choices.
Playing strictly one way or the other is the worst thing for a beginner to do as it narrows the way for one to progress and evolve their game.

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Minus strategy. High places is very difficult to take with her.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way too nitty! I have played a lot of tournaments where I would hit a hand from your range only once an hour, and I still get ITM.

Making threads like these is very good in terms of starting a discussion, not in terms of telling someone how they should play. For that, there has to be some stats to support your claim that this particular way of playing is good for beginners.

Totally agree with Bozovicdj. This is such a tight range that you will be losing blinds like crazy. When you finally get a playable hand, you will either (1) win only the blinds or (2) only be called by a hand that has you crushed. You must have a more balanced range, which includes some speculative hands. Also, you must be willing to see flops and play accordingly.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Totally agree with Bozovicdj. This is such a tight range that you will be losing blinds like crazy. When you finally get a playable hand, you will either (1) win only the blinds or (2) only be called by a hand that has you crushed. You must have a more balanced range, which includes some speculative hands. Also, you must be willing to see flops and play accordingly.

too nitty ?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

too nitty ?:rolleyes:

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so 9/10 handed you advise People to Play only 5% of the Hands. mathematically seen, you are going to blind out instead of double up.

This is assuming that player wins only the blind and antes once he enters the pot Sometimes it’s an all in or a flat and players doubles up on those occasions going all the way to the river more than makes up for playing only every 2 orbits.
Also the math theory doesn’t include when you get this premium card during BB or SB as the assumptions
I rather be on the nitty/rock side I seen too good player crash after playing too many hands. Sure they are competent players that plays more hands but sometimes risk losing to a big pot to a donkey in a bad beat and cannot recover from the tilt as well as their egos

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
When you are at that stage in a tourney, its best to HIT out or GET out.

Most times you notice if you would have played that hand you might have won, as the aggressor will only bully you out.

So have the guts to play your 79os sometimes:D

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
too nitty ?:rolleyes:

That range is fine for CO position, but should be widened from BU, probably to all Kx hands, some Qx too like QT, QJ, in case everyone is very short, and the bubble is near etc. In case you are the shortest stack at the table in an MTT (having 10bbs) I honestly think players on the SB and BB position widen their shove calling range, which is not good for you.

This range should be even wider in SB vs BB spot where everyone folded to SB.

This is only a general rule, not something that should be taken as a must!

But all that you said prior to this is way too nitty! I can only imagine that you will be getting to that 10bb stack very quickly, especially considering that most 9/10man SnGs start with pretty short stacks. This doesnt really apply for MTTs as being too nitty also doesnt help.
I mean, if you fold 40 hands in a row and then re-raise or bet 3.5x, you will only get folds.

If you find yourself in the early stages of an SnG/MTT and everyone folds to you in the BU and you look at JTs, and you fold that, I think is a big leak in the game.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few years back I tried an experiment where would only play if I was in late position or I had one of the top 6 premium hands or a pair. Surprisingly, I got to the money quite a few times.

K

KuprinMA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a super exploited strategy.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a super exploited strategy.
It is but no one theyre gonna be playing will notice anything besides he plays good cards and is aggressive. Phill Hellmuth wrote many books but his best was a 2 page BS script in the back of Phill Hellmuths Guide to limit holdem.
His best secrets for NL were written in the back of a Limit guide!!!
pretty close to mine but.... mines better IMO

GL and I hope people use this as a starting point to join poker!!!!
Seeya on the tables of sodomy and Variance!!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is but no one theyre gonna be playing will notice anything besides he plays good cards and is aggressive. Phill Hellmuth wrote many books but his best was a 2 page BS script in the back of Phill Hellmuths Guide to limit holdem.
His best secrets for NL were written in the back of a Limit guide!!!
pretty close to mine but.... mines better IMO

GL and I hope people use this as a starting point to join poker!!!!
Seeya on the tables of sodomy and Variance!!
Phills guide to limit poker is the best NL book evrer written tons of theory
Great Job Hellmuth - P.S. stake me Hellmuth:star:
Cuz I'm the BEST...fkin variance:bandit: