pre-flop limp

smirnoff1914

smirnoff1914

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never limp a pre-flop with the intention of trapping someone by provoking them to push, even if you are holding an AA. In other types of poker games, the advantage of trapping aces is that it has a huge effect when you entangle a fish in the net. In tournaments, if you manage to trap someone, you are 80-85% of the favorite to win, but you will have to win in 65-90% of cases just to get to zero, so trapping doesn't give you much of an advantage.So it's unlikely to be fatal if you raise and win only the blinds, and the result will be just as good in terms of your chances of winning the tournament.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping is a nearly always a sign of a weak player playing a weak hand, but some players try as hard as they can to win pots playing deceptively.
Its fun to play against deceptive players, because they give the information you need to make a good fold if you only have one pair - even top pair on the flop.

Deceptive players might win 1-2 pots trapping, but they will also lose a gigantic pot with their assumed best hand when the opponent hits his set, 2 pair or rivers a straight to beat the trapper.

The best way to play any hand AA - is to play them the same as any other hand you would have. This is how you win the most chips.
I open AA the same as if I had 8/9 s.
I sometimes 3bet AA - the same as I sometimes 3bet 8/9s.

I sometimes call behind with AA - the same as I sometimes do with 8/9s.

smirnoff1914

smirnoff1914

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the general case, aggression / bet and raise / is more profitable than passivity / cole and fold /. Aggression gives us two opportunities to win, firstly the opponent can fold and secondly if he pays we can win in a showdown. Passivity gives us only one option - to win a showdown

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm of the belief that you should never open limp from any position other than when you're in the small blind. My small blind limping range does include premium hands like AA, KK, QQ. The reason for limping these hands is that it prevents the big blind from folding out their junk and if the big blind does have a strong hand they are likely to raise the pot which then allows me to 4bet trap them. From all other positions I always open with the same 3bb raise regardless if my hand is a premium one like AA or one at the very bottom of my range. If there is action before it gets to me I am 3betting AA/KK pretty much in all spots and never just flat calling or limping behind.

Last edited:
R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only limp AA preflop when there is a 3-max or head-zap against an aggressive opponent. In other cases, I would never advise doing this, I will 3-bet the minimum early, again, again, it all depends on the opponents. (The hand2note program helps me a lot with this, it's easy to learn. For beginners, it's just right,
month trial version is by the way). If there was a raise, a call, I try to twist it with rockets so that more people do not go into the hand.

M

MichaelTyler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice. It's all about the best 5 card hand anyway and so a lot of hands want to at least see a flop, and that's when you can start to consider checking monsters. It's too easy for big hands to look not so big after some more cards are dealt.

B

bonart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp in and most probably busted.

Go in aggressive or fold.

That will keep them guessing what hands you are calling with.

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, I kinda agree. Especially in freeroll tourney. Because in freeroll, many people don't play seriously so frequently they limp in with bad cards. After all, it can give them chances to win. If it happens little, then it's ok, but, too many time it happens to deal with it. Even my pocket is AA if you fight against many people you can't win all the time, and after all you lose your control.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never limp a pre-flop with the intention of trapping someone by provoking them to push, even if you are holding an AA. In other types of poker games, the advantage of trapping aces is that it has a huge effect when you entangle a fish in the net. In tournaments, if you manage to trap someone, you are 80-85% of the favorite to win, but you will have to win in 65-90% of cases just to get to zero, so trapping doesn't give you much of an advantage.So it's unlikely to be fatal if you raise and win only the blinds, and the result will be just as good in terms of your chances of winning the tournament.

Good morning!
I will allow myself to disagree with you.
Limiting AA can be very profitable ...
It all depends on the stage of the tournament, positions and opponents you are playing against.
For example, if you are in the small blind, and a very aggressive fish is sitting on the BB, then limping is profitable, since most likely he will rearrange you, which will give you the opportunity to earn more from him, up to all-in.
Yes, of course, there will be situations in which you will be moved, but this is poker, without this there is nothing here :):)
Therefore, I think sometimes limping a strong hand (setting a trap) is quite profitable :):)
The main thing is not to overplay yourself :D:D:D
Thank you)

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe you're wrong, I think you're talking about Slowplay. When you have a very strong hand.

It is impossible to talk about the tactics of the game that will bring you luck and allow you to win in any situation. Limp (Slowplay) on the preflop, a very formidable weapon, if you know and know how to use it, it is very important! very important factors of the game are the number of chips you have, what stage of the tournament and what opponents you have at the table. i can say for sure, there are situations when to play (except limp (slowplay)) it is simply impossible. Another situation is when the opponent forces you to play exactly this way and in no other way.

I don't see anything wrong with it being used. This is absolutely normal. It is necessary to see and understand the situation at the table correctly.

Of course, if we are talking about the concept of LIMP and very bad hands of players, then it is worth talking about the strength of the players at the table and whether they play correctly or not, but for some players it absolutely does not matter, because they are ready to play any bet with any hand... it's scary ... lol

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
quite simply...don't do it...it is a losing play...unless....

1...you are on the button with aa or kk, and you don't want your fish in the bb to get off the hook

2...you are in late position with suited connectors or a low pp and it has been limped to you, and you want to play for max ev in a multiway pot if you hit big.

3...you are in the sb and you want to play the hand post flop very cheaply....you can do this with a very wide range ...if you know what you are doing post flop, and have reads on your oppo(s) and can outplay them o.o.p. if you wish to.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never limp, but sometimes you can overlimp with a small pair - then when several players limped before me

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest mistakes I see at the table these days are:

1. Sitter Limping
2. High Blind Limping
3. Button Limping
4. Folding to Sitters
5. Limp folding to micro stacks

If you do not limp you can eliminate a lot of problems.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s very rare for me to limp with top pairs, even if someone limped in front of me. It’s dangerous I know, but there’s going to be a big pot out of it. :D