Pot Control Turn Overbet River

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The turn pot control check can really save someone from busting a tournament, to getting you paid on the river.
Sometimes people will fold to a double barrel, so checking back your queens on Jh-10h-4s-4c to see if it bricks or not can get your opponent to think their J or even 10 is good. A lot of the time they'll try to value bet the river when they wouldve folded the turn, hence making more chips.

Also, a play I really like is that if that 5d falls on the river and they check you can safely go for an overbet. First, it looks like a bluff due to sizing. They think, "Why so much? He wants to look strong so I fold my J-9. Second, they just won't believe you a lot because you checked the turn.

Also, if the draw comes off and they bet, its easier to just call it down when they would shove this card for their whole stack due to pot size if u had bet the turn. It makes it easier to see what to do on the river.

Thoughts?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The turn pot control check can really save someone from busting a tournament, to getting you paid on the river.
Sometimes people will fold to a double barrel, so checking back your queens on Jh-10h-4s-4c to see if it bricks or not can get your opponent to think their J or even 10 is good. A lot of the time they'll try to value bet the river when they wouldve folded the turn, hence making more chips.

Also, a play I really like is that if that 5d falls on the river and they check you can safely go for an overbet. First, it looks like a bluff due to sizing. They think, "Why so much? He wants to look strong so I fold my J-9. Second, they just won't believe you a lot because you checked the turn.

Also, if the draw comes off and they bet, its easier to just call it down when they would shove this card for their whole stack due to pot size if u had bet the turn. It makes it easier to see what to do on the river.

Thoughts?

I like your reasons.

I like checking the turn sometimes to create deception.

And then get paid with an overbet on river.....same result? Some of my opponents might fold to a turn bet.

Good luck !

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good and reasonable playing here mate.I agree totally with everything that you wrote and this combination of plays is indeed the very best cause in 90% of the cases will bring pot to the player who plays it.The only one time i can remember right losing chips with this strategy is that on that river when opponent checks and you raise big is that he is so good that he has read your hand and checks you with two tens or two Jacks for example knowing that you will make that big raise so that he can eliminate you from tournament but that is very very rare play,in smaller tournaments you have better chance to draw straight flush than to see that play.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this exact situation I think, you are missing value by checking back the turn. There are so many draws, he can have, and the best time to get value from those is on the turn. Also this is a really great situation for you, because there are so many combinations of top pair or even top two, you can get value from on this turn card. His AJ, KJ, QJ and JT are all going to pay you, if you go bet, bet, bet.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this exact situation I think, you are missing value by checking back the turn. There are so many draws, he can have, and the best time to get value from those is on the turn. Also this is a really great situation for you, because there are so many combinations of top pair or even top two, you can get value from on this turn card. His AJ, KJ, QJ and JT are all going to pay you, if you go bet, bet, bet.

Im sorry, I assumed this was against a player who knows when to fold, for instance, with a weak top pair. Also, there are some negative implied odds to betting, as draws do get there from time to time, so regarding ICM (worth of chips in your stack to payouts), it isnt always considered "value." The value could be keeping the pot smaller to sustain variance against draws that do connect....

Just a thought.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good and reasonable playing here mate.I agree totally with everything that you wrote and this combination of plays is indeed the very best cause in 90% of the cases will bring pot to the player who plays it.The only one time i can remember right losing chips with this strategy is that on that river when opponent checks and you raise big is that he is so good that he has read your hand and checks you with two tens or two Jacks for example knowing that you will make that big raise so that he can eliminate you from tournament but that is very very rare play,in smaller tournaments you have better chance to draw straight flush than to see that play.

Thanks and yes I do know some people will check the river as to get a value bet from a weaker hand when they're trapping. Still, if checked like you said 90% of the time its okay to go for a value bet, and just have to fold to a raise Im guessing.