Pocket pairs

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are starting a MTT I usually go all in preflop with anything over 99 and usually works. However after having huge stacks and few players one mistake that has cost me plenty of tournaments is trusting a pocket pair at this levels.

What are your recommendations?

Early, mid, late stage of MTT with which pocke pairs do you guys go all in?

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early AA, KK and that's it.

Mid level (ante's start until a table or less bubble) it depends on my stack and position.

On the bubble unless I have a big stack and can shove without being busted I will wait, even with AA. As an example why last night, I was short stacked with 29 left, 27 paid and sitting 27th in the BB. Have's KK and it folds around to the SB who shoves putting me all in with a call. I call and he shows Q9 suited which hits a Q on the flop and another and on the turn.

In the money and final table see mid level strategy.

Serkish

Serkish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early AA, KK and that's it.

Mid level (ante's start until a table or less bubble) it depends on my stack and position.

On the bubble unless I have a big stack and can shove without being busted I will wait, even with AA. As an example why last night, I was short stacked with 29 left, 27 paid and sitting 27th in the BB. Have's KK and it folds around to the SB who shoves putting me all in with a call. I call and he shows Q9 suited which hits a Q on the flop and another and on the turn.

In the money and final table see mid level strategy.

:)
It's hard not to call in that situation with KK... but I agree with AA and KK in the beginning actually I think it's good at anytime to shove with these... towards the middle I do bring it down to QQ as well. With JJ and lower pairs, I will just call in early position but in late position I will raise 2.5x if there are no raises prior.. if there is a raise I will call.. if they raise way over pot or go all-in I will fold...

note* as I was typing this I had KK in BB and shoved on a raise.. guy called with AQ suited. He hit his Q but missed A just doubled me up. Thinking about KK gave me KK. Power of thought.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have everything simple, the earlier the position the stronger the pair should be.

D

Davlic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With all the pairs I play with caution no matter where to start. It is not surprising for me that even the best pairs do not win in the end.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are starting a MTT I usually go all in preflop with anything over 99 and usually works. However after having huge stacks and few players one mistake that has cost me plenty of tournaments is trusting a pocket pair at this levels.

What are your recommendations?

Good question.
If global, the situation is as follows:
A smart player follows the advice of professionals, streamers, books.
A fool learns from his mistakes, flies out a thousand times and learns.
If replays do not teach the player, it means he was born an idiot, he will die an idiot)))
So dont worry, time will put everything in its place.
I'm a fool)))

facolete

facolete

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only AA, KK, Maybe QQ depends on the position.

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
all depends on the table and size of the blinds at the time. hard to say...

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many variables involved, his stack of the opponents crazy opponents, your table image, if you ta feeling lucky on ... The bill is difficult.

andreyutzFCD

andreyutzFCD

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe few hands i play with all in ,but depends on the chips of others.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have everything simple, the earlier the position the stronger the pair should be.

This is very true. Just don't completely trust JJ or 1010. You will usually run into something much worse.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
for me early: pairs from 88 to AA
mid: I am more selective JJ, QQ, KK, AA
late: AA, KK, QQ
but it will always depend on what I see in the game, I would not necessarily bet everything to have those pairs

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case, friend, I am 22 to 10 10 playing caution, from JJ to AA I play aggressively. Well, so I try not to play aggressively at the beginning of the tournament and I can limp such hands as 34 suited, 2 5 suited to see the flop.

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer, greatly appreciate your recommendations. I will apply them today at the tables and lets see how it goes!

As John said, time will tell... :D

Cok1973

Cok1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
At the early stage of the tournament you can go all in with any pair! at a late stage, you need to pay attention to such important points : how many participants are left to the top places and what a stack!

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have learned from seeing every pair from 88 to AA lose that going all in is not automatic with any pair, even AA or KK. I will play the situation...position, stack sizes, what stage the tournament is in etc. and usually raise with AA to QQ. If there's already a raise on the table I might just call.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play ABC poker when it comes to pocket pairs. Aces are the only exception. Basically I go with the saying no set no bet but there are factors when I do play pocket pairs aggressively such as the stack size of who I'm up against(do I have the player covered?, Am I a short stack?) I generally like to play all in preflop with 10 10 or better if I am either one of these.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not have an exact way to play the pairs, I always try to follow a bit my instinct, but usually in mid and late stage I only try to play the highest pairs for more "security" although there are never any guarantees of winning with them, in early stage I can take risks with slightly lower pairs, but as I said I always try to follow my instinct

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages you need to play, I think loosely.
in the middle stage I play aggressively but gently.
if got far then already tight. AA-KK to push,QQ-

I play carefully

M

MadMan999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think at early stage you should play tight, at mid stage more aggressively and at late again more tight.

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You know, all in with any pocket pair is always flip of a coin.
I admit I can get carried away during KO tourneys lol but in general, unless I'm very short I'm not going to risk all my chips. It's always nice to double up, but ideally you don't want to risk it all on one hand. At early stages, I'm playing more hands, trying to see cheap flops, using the position... Try to keep up with average stacks. Later it gets, tighter I am but it all depends.
For me, exception might be if I'm a big stack then I might take more risks with pocket pairs.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Going all in every time you have a pair over 99 is not so wise. Why to go all in having the danger to leave the game all these times? A good raise is better in most of the times, and the all in choise also, when the maths and the study of the game allow it.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Error of this strategy is that you ask at what stage we are going all-in. All-in in the first place does not depend on the stage of the tournament. Position on the table, the number of players behind you, on the actions of your opponents and force the hand with which you are going to go all-in. This is a huge difference compared to what would make all-in depending on the stage, and very different result for the tournament.