pocket pairs.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Despite the position when I play preflop situation I can use different kind of play (raise or check). Why? Because of opponent style!

If you know about opponent just a little bit, you can make right decision. After all you can get set with any pocket pairs already on flop, and set is a very strong and winning hand, with which you can take value on the each street.

So my advice next - play raise when opponents VPIP 25+, play check vs VPIP 25-

L

leandr0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in microstakes therefore the implied odds are huge. even calling from early position and then having someone raise big and get you out of the hand (if you do not get the right odds etc) is acceptable. if i play in a table that i see certain people go wild to "punish" callers i tend to limp hands like Aces and Kings as well to balance things. But mainly small pocket pairs have to do with the implied odds and therefore how skilled your opponents are. If you play with a table full of donks i bet nobody even cares about you limping or your bet sizing and stuff. bad players like that have a specific repertoir of hands that they play or fold. they only get to filtre that when they are put to the test to decide on a bigger part of their stack. till then they just see KJs they like it and so it doesnt matter theres already a raise and a 3bet they would cold call it anyday. same thing with small pairs. so in conclusion if you play with a skilled table go on and follow the classic "fold from early position, limp from middle and raise from late position" strategy. i also like min-raising with them. it works really as a blocker bet. if you limp someone might raise you even with a weaker hand but to 3bet you most times in small stakes it needs to be a great hand. so this (apart from saving you money from calling a larger 3bet) it (also) helps you understanding when your opponent has a great hand and therefore you DO have the right implied odds to call the 3bet (or not)

B

Benghazi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually raise, but that's my main problem also. I rarely fold until I see the flop. Wins me a lot, but I also take some big hits. But with a pocket pair I can't pass it up

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never limp, except some situations against maniac players. If a had position, i raise with pocket pairs. AA, KK, QQ, JJ any position. If was a raise before me i make a 3-bet.

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never limp, never unless u have a strategy to play that hand and u know the players that are playing against you...

KingQuadDaddy

KingQuadDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EP, i will generally toss them out. MP, a lot is going to determine action that has come to me. If open limped, with a caller or 2, at that point its worth a call to see a possible flop. **Noting that the players behind are not aggro super shovers. In late position, it will either be a limp behind or a raise if no other action in front.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
it's not recomanded to limp from early position with small pairs fold'em, when first in utg open the pot with top 5%. suppose you limp and there's a raise in front of you most of times you'll playin the hand OOP. odds of making a set are 7.5:1. so this is a tough spot.
you can play small pairs from late position, if there's a limper just limp behind. if the pot is opened fold. when there's no action open the pot.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early position you can limp with 77+ but always fold to 3bet.

M

Mantones

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raise almost every pair if Im in position,if not,I call/raise only with 10+

Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play such couples. Feet in the early stages do not see any reason to make a raise. I get in game only check, hoping to catch a set on the flop. If you do not get them I can easily reset. Position is not important at this stage of the tournament.

messer21

messer21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually limp, but everything depends on the information you have of the opponent.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good question,small pair I usually call ,I mean limp,when I m first or middle position,when i have 99,or biger I usally raised in middle and late position,sometimes depeands of players you shoud open raised with smaller pair......

P

Playtext

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually limp and play small ball poker after the flop. Different scenario when I hit set.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold a lot of them in early position, because I can't raise or call a big raise with them. Now that's just me. They don't work for me, but I have seen a lot of players call anything and win with them. But I will call with them in late position if I can see the flop for just a small raise. However, I will also fold them there too if there is a big raise or an all in before me. Doing this has saved me many times in MTTs and a lot of money at cash tables. GL to you.

F

fooks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to raise on a small pocket pair if pair and get the flop,then I look at the situation,is likely to go Allin

defleopard

defleopard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Были ситуации, когда я был с КК и АА в свои руки и должен был поставить все. Так очень часто игроки, которые также ставят все получили 555 или три другие карты.

M

massagegirl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your position, the action before you and the table dynamics would all come into play on what to do.

P

Playtext

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on my position but usually I limp with 22 to 99 early stage of the tournament.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pocket pairs, I try to get in as cheaply as possible to see a flop and hopefully hit a set. Medium pocket pairs (88 - JJ), I may call a big bet, or if it folds to me and I'm in a late position, I will raise it up. Big pairs (QQ or higher), I am definitely re-raising.

But again, this all depends on other factors, too. If it's early in a tourney, I'm going to try to avoid a big pot. If I 3-bet with QQ and the original raiser comes back over the top with a 4-bet, I may decide to fold or flat.

W

WRG0413

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play 4-4 or better from early position and any pair from middle to late position. If I'm under 25 BBs I change the 4s to 6-6 or better.

B

baklagan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer the following ratio of call/raises depending on the position and pair early position 90/10 (raise all-in with low stack), middle position 80/20,late position 40/60. That all also depends on the number of people left into the tournament, table and my opponents.

defleopard

defleopard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When very few chips in the game , one or two players , you can put all think with any pair ...

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll set mine more if the table tends to limp around, even if I'm UTG. Usually I'm in a gambling mood and playing a decent amount of 7-9 etc.

E

Eraser9567

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold small pocket pairs from early positiona and raise big pocket pairs from late positions.

B

butterstoch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
standard 3x. 4x raise for all pairs. Disguises the hand strength. it is a pain if someone ships over you, with you holding smaller pairs though.