PLO8, somehting I am missing here

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am probably missing something easy here but feel as this pot should be a scoop for me. The way I am seeing it is...

My hand - High: Ace high flush, Low: A,3,4,6,8
Villains hand - High: 6 high straight, Low: 2,3,4,5,6

Please tell me what I am not seeing in this one as to why it is a split pot.

Attachments

• PLO8 hand.JPG
    PLO8 hand.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 16
A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The lowest high card in the low determines the winner. If the same it goes card by card until the lowest hand is determined. His 6 is better than your 8.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am probably missing something easy here but feel as this pot should be a scoop for me. The way I am seeing it is...

My hand - High: Ace high flush, Low: A,3,4,6,8
Villains hand - High: 6 high straight, Low: 2,3,4,5,6

Please tell me what I am not seeing in this one as to why it is a split pot.

Villain's low is better. Low hands are read from the top down.

Just because you have an Ace in your low hand doesn't mean you win. But usually it makes it more likely you will have the best low. Just not in your example.

We spent an hour convincing one of our buddies of this at our homegame. He said he has been reading the low wrong for 12 years! LOL

Last edited:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain's low is better. Low hands are read from the top down.

Just because you have an Ace in your low hand doesn't mean you win. But usually it makes it more likely you will have the best low. Just not in your example.

We spent an hour convincing one of our buddies of this at our homegame. He said he has been reading the low wrong for 12 years! LOL

Thanks for the responses on this one. I am fairly new to PLO8 but did not know this. I always thought an ace low beat other lows that started with a higher card. Glad I posted this as I might play a little differently going forward and definitely learned something.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Power of an Ace

Thanks for the responses on this one. I am fairly new to PLO8 but did not know this. I always thought an ace low beat other lows that started with a higher card. Glad I posted this as I might play a little differently going forward and definitely learned something.

Happy to help.

Just to be clear - you will see someone play 23 as their low. Generally this is loose because...

on a 478 flop 23 is beat by two hands for the low -

A3
A2

And of course an Ace on the turn counterfits those superior lows and now 23 is better.

I like PLO8 - go for the scoop!
Good luck !

Last edited: