please give advice on playing with a deep stack

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
friends. give advice on how to play with deep stacks at the beginning of such a tournament and what style of game is better in it ?

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many diffrent ways to play ET.... some like to play VERY tight and up bet sizing, while others like to treat the early stages of a tournament like a cash game.... personal it's about the table, the quality of play, and how others are playing.... majority of the time I like to treat it like a cash game.... the reason I do this is because there is nothing that bugs me more then to grind for 4-6 hours then bubble the tournament.... it's a complete waste of time if you ask me.... if you treat the early stages like a cash game, you make the mathematically correct choices (assuming your a good cash player) and let varince fall where it may.... chances are you will stack enough in the frist hour or 2 to give you enough to play more of a standard tournament stratagy, and make the money.... if not you bust early, and you dont waste your time having an average stack for 4-5 hours and miss the money.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not play in the early stages of tournaments. I do not like deep stacks, especially at the microlimits. Fish get up madness. I typically register for the tournament later when the blinds are greatly increased. During this time, the most frostbitten fish fly out of the tournament, or they start to play a little thoughtful and clamped. It's nice. I can't specifically say about its strategy, because everything depends on the level of the table.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good advice from jbgoode and grumblbrum, you must also consider what types of players there, if they are very aggressive and pay a lot, you better play quietly, also depends on how good your post flop play, if there are tight players, you can take your stack to put pressure.
You must be careful with another big stack, especially if it is a maniac player, you must also take into account how many chips are villains, not just to look out in your stack.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
that type of tournaments should be played with a lot of patience and control, if you lose that during the game, you can make mistakes that can affect you, both in being eliminated or in being very short in stack, I think that those 2 main keys, in addition to the always: make good reading of your opponents, concentration, apply a good strategy depending on your readings

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rock strong all-in speculative hands. DONT put all your chips in middle without the nuts no reason to.

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
friends. give advice on how to play with deep stacks at the beginning of such a tournament and what style of game is better in it ?

With a deep stack and thus a large CSI, you can afford to play more conservatively until you have a grasp on your opponent's tendencies, image, and what likely hand ranges he enters with in certain situations. In a table full of calling stations for example, you can opt to use your deep stack to play more speculative hands like 87s or A2s OTB or in the CO with a small raise or calling since you have good implied odds to make a hand strong enough to bust out other weaker players. Hopefully this helps you out.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a deep stack there is much more room to play. I would say it also depends on your personal style if you prefer to play loose or tight. I would approach it a bit like your average cash game tbh.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , yes i agree a lot with what everyone has added, i like the cash game theory as some tables I've been at will be extremely tight early on and players will only 3bet with monster hand, so some cash game image-foolery maybew in order to loosen everyone up and then you can pick them off, also more fun ;)

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play deep stack tournaments by betting while only looking at the bet sizing and not the chip count. If you let the pot size or the amount of chips you're betting effect you it can cause you to fold good hands. The pots will obviously be bigger but that shouldn't scare you.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love deep stack games. I play more hands and ignore the blinds and bet large in a do or die mode. Just my style. Past performance is no indicator of future performance, so play as you wish.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a lot of it depends on your preferred playstyle, your opponents, your skill level and the tournament format. One reason in favor of playing very tight when deepstacked is that there's no reason to risk your chips unnecessarily so it's only beneficial to play with the nuts or close to it. It's kind of an ICM thing, the chips have a lot more value. One reason in favor of playing loose is that since you're deepstacked anyway you can afford to take risks. This can pay off because you can accumulate a lot of chips and expand your lead. This is why I say it depends on your personal playstyle so the choice comes down to you. I prefer playing tight, especially at the beginning of the tournament where survival will get you halfway into winning it. If your opponents are a bit tighter then play looser and vice versa. Some people prefer to play shortstacked right away because they know their push/fold charts very well and can capitalize mathematically on opponents' mistakes. Taking the tournament format into consideration is also important. If you're in a bounty tournament for example then you'd want to call wider against shortstack all-ins to gather up chips and bounties.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Deep stack you can play spec hands you can't later on. Deep stack it's ok to call a normal raise with a small or mid pocket pair or suited connectors or one or two gappers in the hopes of flopping a set or a monster draw and winning a really nice pot. When blinds go up you don't have this luxury.