playing to win vs. placing

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often aim for in the money. It seems like I am more prone to call a pre-flop all in once I am in the money. Obviously I play to win it all, but I definitely play differently once I am GTD a profit.

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing to win

I started this thread thinking of overall profit strategy,before I started playing poker I was aspiring trader and read many books on the subject.In fact,it was a book called poker face on wall street that got me interested in the game.With this background I see many similarities between poker and trading.In trading there has been one group of technical traders that have been profitable over the last 20 to 30 years called trend followers .These traders lose 60 to 70% of the time on there trades, but when they win, they win big enough to make up for all there losses and then some.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go for the win. It's easy for me, as I play mainly freerolls (no bankroll yet). But sometimes, I should play differently: In a tournament with 72 places paid by a ticket, I got sent out 74th calling the chipleader with QQ pre-flop... I still cry a little when I think about it.

Satellites/Survivor tournaments are the only tournaments where you don't have to win outright. This is because multiple spots pay the same prize. With pocket QQ, its an example where we can fold if we have enough chips compared to the rest of the field.