Playing too many turbos affecting my game negatively....you?

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

Lately, due to time constraints, mostly all tourneys Im playing are turbo. I've noticed my game becoming very one dimensional - ultimately aggressively trying to steal blind and using the shove/fold strategy.

When I do happen to play normal blinds structure tourneys, my gameplay is very much similar to turbo style, and its hard to shake the off.

Is this a normal side effect to playing too many turbos? If so, I need to stop playing them lol

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably is normal, regular MTTs are generally way too boring. You might want to stick to your turbos and just tighten up a bit. Good luck.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. I am quite novice so my opinion will surely not be very qualified. My experience with turbos is that my way of playing perhaps too tight does not work for that speed but, on the other hand, as you say, playing turbo makes one play too simplified and I insist, I am a beginner, but I tend to resemble the sits and turbo tournaments with the cash shorstack strategy.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To answer your questions: yes and yes.

Take some time in other games, then see how your game changes again .Take the elements that work, remove.tbe elements that don't work .

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I do not like turbo tournaments. I prefer tournaments where the blinds increase every 10 minutes. I think you just need to learn how to change your style of play, depending on the format of the tournament you play.

A

Auswa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ultimately aggressively trying to steal blind and using the shove/fold strategy]
Playing aggressively in the early stages isn't necessarily a leak. Playing shove or fold strategy too early could be a leak.

regular MTTs are generally way too boring
Try playing cash games. Especially Live. Playing fairly tight is generally correct. In a mtt regular or turbo you can open a hand such as 6Ts from MP which you will never do in a cash game. MTT's are fun for this reason. More action more gamble. Turbos just get to flipping more quicker.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if you play the same kind of tournaments all the time, blinds will still go up, and you need to be able to adjust to different effective stack sizes. Sometimes a tournament also simply play slow, because a lot of people fold, and then stacks might get very short on the bubble. And other times its the opposite way around with a lot of crazy action early on creating deep average stacks.

I always have my PT4 HUD running, and this help a lot, because it display the stack size of all players in BB, so i dont have to do the math in my head. Stack size is something, you need to look at in a poker hand before anything else, since it determine the whole way, the hand is going to play. So even if my HUD gave no other information then to display stack size in BB, I would still use it in tournaments.

As for turbos I am trying to get more into them, but at the end of the day, I still feel, that it becomes a very monotone game, when most players at the table are down to 10-13 BB or less. It just takes a lot of complexity away, and therefore I also feel, that it reduces skill edges. So overall I still prefer tournaments, that are not to fast.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think playing too many of only one thing will definitely affect your game at other tables. You should try to relax a little, stop playing for a while, and/or try to variate from time to time. I think too many poker also affect your game, every player should take a rest from time to time to improve their game ;)

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.If you don´t have enough time for a long session, maybe you should try cash games.If you don´t like them a little break is needed.Good luck!

M

MaZeee323

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play to many Spin & Go's on pokerstars it affect my game negatively. In cashgames I'm to aggressive then, turbo-tournaments dont affect my game because every tournament is a new tournament for me.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey all,

Lately, due to time constraints, mostly all tourneys Im playing are turbo. I've noticed my game becoming very one dimensional - ultimately aggressively trying to steal blind and using the shove/fold strategy.

When I do happen to play normal blinds structure tourneys, my gameplay is very much similar to turbo style, and its hard to shake the off.

Is this a normal side effect to playing too many turbos? If so, I need to stop playing them lol

It also happened to me because I played a lot of turbo tournaments. My game also changed when I play tournaments with normal structures, I lose patience fast and I end up using the turbos strategies and I lose.

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing too many of only one thing will definitely affect your game at other tables. You should try to relax a little, stop playing for a while, and/or try to variate from time to time. I think too many poker also affect your game, every player should take a rest from time to time to improve their game ;)

Great advise, falling into a downward spiral is very easy in this game. True pros I believe have a very strong mindset of "when to call it a day" and not chase losses.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think it is just a bad ''habit'' which will stop after some regular MTTs.

I have a question though. By writing ''affecting'' what do you really mean?

Do you mean that you open shove and 3bet shove no matter how many big blinds do you have?
Or do you play super tight in order to reach the shoving stack where you feel that you perform better and your move is unexploitable?

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is just a bad ''habit'' which will stop after some regular MTTs.

I have a question though. By writing ''affecting'' what do you really mean?

Do you mean that you open shove and 3bet shove no matter how many big blinds do you have?
Or do you play super tight in order to reach the shoving stack where you feel that you perform better and your move is unexploitable?

Example being....I may be prone call an all in with a mid pair (instead of folding) or shoving with AK early position (instead of raise/reraise)....these are usaully turbo habits

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep your buy-ins balanced... I had the same problem a while back.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Example being....I may be prone call an all in with a mid pair (instead of folding) or shoving with AK early position (instead of raise/reraise)....these are usaully turbo habits

No matter how many BBs you have? For example you can 3bet jam with 40bbs vs 1 open raiser? Or open shove 30bbs in late position just for the sake of stealing the blinds?

Still I believe you should play some regular MTTs otherwise just stick to your turbos.

And to answer your question , personally no I don't have such problems in my game.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sounds like you’re playing well as most of online tournament play centers around playing aggressively—particularly in relatively short-stacked scenarios. Sometimes it can feel monotonous, particularly over a limited sample. How many games are you playing, OP?

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter how many BBs you have? For example you can 3bet jam with 40bbs vs 1 open raiser? Or open shove 30bbs in late position just for the sake of stealing the blinds?

Still I believe you should play some regular MTTs otherwise just stick to your turbos.

And to answer your question , personally no I don't have such problems in my game.

So lets say with a stack of 20,000 , blind 500/1000, i may shove early position with AK (with the hope of getting a call since its a little deeper in the tourney and looking to double up, not necessarily to take the blinds), however, this is a turbo mindset that has settled in i believe. Whereas, a 3x raise may be a better suited play in a normal structure.

It sounds like you’re playing well as most of online tournament play centers around playing aggressively—particularly in relatively short-stacked scenarios. Sometimes it can feel monotonous, particularly over a limited sample. How many games are you playing, OP?

Playing around 5-6 turbos daily, maybe 1-2 normal structure ones weekly.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So lets say with a stack of 20,000 , blind 500/1000, i may shove early position with AK (with the hope of getting a call since its a little deeper in the tourney and looking to double up, not necessarily to take the blinds), however, this is a turbo mindset that has settled in i believe. Whereas, a 3x raise may be a better suited play in a normal structure.

It sounds like, you are seeking the easy alternative, which is more a question of mindset rather than what games, you play. Open raising AK from EP can create some complicated postflop situations, when someone just call, especially if they have position on you. You miss the flop two thirds, and in that situation you really have no great options. C-betting out of position sucks, check-folding sucks, and check-calling also sucks. If you ship it all in, you are done, and you dont have to make any difficult decisions.

To some extend this is actually sort of ok. By taking off complicated spots, we protect ourselfes from making mistakes or getting outplayed. If this example you also take away other players positional advantage. But of course if you take it to far, you will be giving up on EV.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BR mgt turbos, mTT, cash..

For action, turbo is where it is at. To be comfortable, I use BR mgt: 5% turbo tourneys
The majority for MTT. 5% cash games. I do much better @ MTT nl hold 'em. Turbo tourneys are like cash games, more for variety of play than potential profit.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly agree that turbo play can affect your game when you revert to a slower mtt. You said it was time constraints that led you to play turbos. That's probably my main reason for playing them so I try to plan better. With some re-arranging I look to find the time to play a longer, slower mtt. Then I try to shake off that turbo game.

Top 10 Games