Playing Slowly

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I'm just wondering, in big MTT, is it usual too see very slow play as the bubble approaches?

I assume they are waiting for players at other tables to bust without losing their own blinds so quick.

Is this common?

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, the higher the buy-in the more you will that happening. In freerolls it happens less because people don't care that much if they don't make it into the money.

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, the higher the buy-in the more you will that happening. In freerolls it happens less because people don't care that much if they don't make it into the money.
Cool, thank you for confirming

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The idea behind slowing/timing down/out is to allow the other tables to bust out before your table. When it get close to around 50 player before the bubble is usually when you should start evaluating.

How many BB do I have?
Should I tighten up and time out to let other tables play more hands?
Is my stack headed for the final table?

A1: I have less than 10BB I need to find spots to shove
A1: I have 30BB i can play safe
A1: I have over 50 BB I can look to bully some medium stacks and steal easy blinds

A2: I need to find spots to get more chips because I have a small stack
A2: I can slow down the clock because I have a good stack
A2: I have a huge stack! Lets ( again ) bully and put pressure on others before the button

A3: I dont have a chance for the final table unless I get lucky.
A3: I can still look for spots to double up and get a nice stack headed for the final table
A3: I am set for the final table, lets start looking to knock people out!

These are just some examples of what goes on in my mind when I am close to the bubble. I have been in all three positions; short stack, medium, and big.

hope this helps :D

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very helpful and detailed explanation. Thank you.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I see it very often in tournaments.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
It is very normal to see players playing very slowly each time the bubble moment approaches ... in long tournaments players who have a short chip stack try to play very slowly so that other players from other tables are eliminated and Thus to have more opportunity to be inside the awarded positions.

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes of course.. Everyone wants to make the money and even in the money the longer people delay the more people drop where you move up in pay scale.

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also see it very often during tournaments

Marcos mats

Marcos mats

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, this is very common in the bubble, I do not think it's bad when it happens I just do not like players who do it all the time.

We are together.
😎👊

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yep it's very common in every tourney, even on wsop people are using their whole timebank.

F

fitemore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
slow play

I use it often in order to make it to the final table if I have a stack large enough to be competitive.

70deda70

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It it is natural to play slowly at such situation especially who puts the aims and aims at all are different. With a little stack wait flight of other players and to drag as far as to the zone of prizes. With a middle stack heave up to enter prizes as possible farther. At each the reasons are for such game. But this is not a common rule so to play. all depends on a player and his personal vision of game.

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like slow poker because I do not have enough attention for the whole game.