Playing short stack 10 to 15 BB late in tourney

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the studying I have been doing has pointed out a flaw in the push/fold strategy when short stacked. What I have learned is that as you get deeper in the field and ICM becomes a bigger consideration you should use your standard open more when short stacked between 10 to 15 BB. This is because each chip is more valuable. The less chips you have say in the final two or three tables of players, the more valuable each chip is. Those who have bigger stacks, their chips are less valuable in relation to the value of a short stacks chips. The more you can ladder up the more money you make. So it is my understanding that early to mid tourney the standard short stack strategy is sound but as you get later the hands you should be willing to shove with should become stronger and using a standard open should become a consideration. What are you thoughts on this? I'm learning more all the time and one of the best ways I have found to do that is to talk things through with other people.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question!

It depends a lot on how strong your opponents are. Tough opponents will reraise all-in frequently if you're making small raises at a time when they expect you to be risk averse. Weaker players will fold a lot.

So anytime there's a lot of ICM involved and you have a stack of ~ 15bb, you should mainly be playing shove-or-fold against stronger or higher-stakes opponents, and be doing a lot more min-raising against weaker or lower-stakes opponents.

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question!

It depends a lot on how strong your opponents are. Tough opponents will reraise all-in frequently if you're making small raises at a time when they expect you to be risk averse. Weaker players will fold a lot.

So anytime there's a lot of ICM involved and you have a stack of ~ 15bb, you should mainly be playing shove-or-fold against stronger or higher-stakes opponents, and be doing a lot more min-raising against weaker or lower-stakes opponents.

Cool Thank you for replying. It is good to have confirmation on what I am learning. I like the information on stronger vs weaker players. Thanks again. :D

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very good question, and their is no one size fits all answer to this question because like most poker playing questions this is situational.

If I'm in a hyper turbo or even just a turbo, 15bbs is where I'm starting my push/fold game. In a regular Mtt I'm probably waiting until about 10bbs before I start to get it in.

Another great tidbit here late in a Mtt is to make notes of the players limping into pots at this time. They are not very experienced players and they will often fold to small raises and jams.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to take notes on whether on not the villan will fold to a min raise or slightly bigger than min raise and if they will attack sb limps. If they dont attack sb limps you can throw in some limp stab at flops.

F

Fernet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting

the truth is that I very much agree with what you say, in the final stages of the tournament it loses its value, pushing the chips with certain hands, in those phases and being shortstack, it is best to wait for a strong and decent hand to push and try to double

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Good question!

Thank you Collin. Excellent advice