Playing premium hands on Micro MTTs

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Total posts
Hey guys, how do you play premium hands in Micro MTTs (QQ KK AA AK)
I was playing the 3.3 bounty builder, i was UTG
Had QQ, raised 2.3x but 4 players + bigblind calls
So, 6 handed board, low cards board (9T2) with 2 hearts
Double drawed board, I raised and 2 players shoves
Then I called and faced one flush draw and two pair (9Ts)
I have to make a bigger raise pre flop?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Maybe you dont always get this much action, but it just happened this one time? But if you do note, that your table is playing very loose, it can certainly make sense to raise to a bigger size with premium hands. You then need to decide, if you think, they are so bad, you can have different raise sizes, or if you want to go bigger with your entire range and then simply fold the more marginal hands, that are not profitable with a big raise size. Depending how deep stacks were, it can also be a reasonable option to fold your overpair, when two people have moved all in on the flop.

Kinganders

Kinganders

Rock Star
Total posts

Sounded like agood pkay, but it was a loose table, you will learn from making similar bets more often and most likely less will call

T

Tony0

Enthusiast
Total posts
A lot of people do not value their buy in at all at these stakes and will call/3bet with weak holdings.

In a bounty they also overplay that element. If there are loose players with covering stacks behind you can open shove QQ+. You will get called often enough you wont be too far from optimal. You will get called by stuff like Ax.

You will also get rejammed a lot, even by non premium hands, as weak players know their hand has good raw equity but are not confident in postflop play. So they (probably correctly) feel they realize their equity a lot better that way.

I am not sure how to play preflop at these stakes without getting involved in lots of flips and giving up your edge to the field.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
In tournaments with rewards for knocking out players from the UTG position, if I have less than 20-40 bb (the all-in range increases depending on the stage of the tournament), then in most cases I prefer to go all-in !!! In the later stages, I prefer to play premium hands !!!

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Don't even try to play expensive bluffs at any stage of the micro MTT. This will only lead you to another disappointment. Most of your opponents in these tournaments only think about their cards. They don't care at all about your actions or which hand you are trying to imagine. They just want to go to showdown and win if they're lucky.Most often in these tournaments, the most profitable strategy will be simple ABC poker and card play. Therefore, strive to always get the most value with strong made hands. At higher limits, regulars can often put 1/3 of the pot on their opponents, but this is because it's harder to build value with strong hands at those limits. At micro stakes, the more you bet, the more you win, and since your opponents on average like to call and watch showdowns, you can profitably exploit this game with your strongest hands.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands