Playing medium pairs on drawing boards

G

Gerb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I'm hoping to get some advice about playing medium pocket pairs. I would say I've a decent understanding of basic pre and post flop play with them, and I don't get into too much trouble when over cards come, but what I have a hard time with is when I've raised pre, with JJ or 10,10 say, and the board comes with both a draw and an over card. With an over, I'd be trying to get to showdown cheap. With a draw but no over cards, I'd be betting to charge the potential draw.

But I got in trouble today in a micro MTT, still early and very deep, when I had JJ in the SB and raised pre against 1 limper. The other guy limp called pre, but was playing something stupid like 45/10 stats, so any 2 broadways, any 2 suited cards, any Ax basically. So I didnt have a feel for whether high cards or suited connectors were more in his range. Flop came Qh 4h 3s. Do I bet to charge the draw or slow down to get to show down in case of a pair of Q's? Any tips?
Thanks.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming you have healthy stack...Well in my experience microstakes MTT you could not get any draw fold on flop vs loose passive villaine (LP) by betting it. And LP villaine preflop limp/call range is so wide like a ocean. I would check/call on flop and decide on turn weather to continue...depends on dynamics. imo

N

ninoverm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Him having a queen is much more likely than him having two hearts. JJ is a perfect hand to check-call here and reconsider on later streets. A hand like 77 is actually better to bet here. You're getting just as much value from draws and you protect your hand from hands like 98, J9, JT.

MasterTur

MasterTur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I'm hoping to get some advice about playing medium pocket pairs. I would say I've a decent understanding of basic pre and post flop play with them, and I don't get into too much trouble when over cards come, but what I have a hard time with is when I've raised pre, with JJ or 10,10 say, and the board comes with both a draw and an over card. With an over, I'd be trying to get to showdown cheap. With a draw but no over cards, I'd be betting to charge the potential draw.

But I got in trouble today in a micro MTT, still early and very deep, when I had JJ in the SB and raised pre against 1 limper. The other guy limp called pre, but was playing something stupid like 45/10 stats, so any 2 broadways, any 2 suited cards, any Ax basically. So I didnt have a feel for whether high cards or suited connectors were more in his range. Flop came Qh 4h 3s. Do I bet to charge the draw or slow down to get to show down in case of a pair of Q's? Any tips?
Thanks.

I would check/call the flop. Actually every time I had pairs like KK,QQ,JJ,TT and hit a over card i play more safely, because if I keep beting i'm bluffing my value, and I had a really good hand for showdown, so I like to check/call and analysing turn and river.
Of course, will depend of each villain, sizes of bets, situation of game (bubble of ITM/FT, pression for ICM, etc)

RiversRage

RiversRage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a tricky question if I have any type of table image read of my opponent I try and play on his weakness. If they tend to play tight I always represent and if they come along i know they have an over pair or spiked a set...if they tend to play loose I will value bet till they show strength

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that right, you should play on their weakness. If they tend to play tight represent them and if they come along i know they have an over pair or spiked a set...if they tend to play loose you may value bet till they show strength

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks.

You have to bet to try to get some chips. You don't want anything to get there for free or cheap. You are only getting called by better hands or donkeys.