jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello :)

I recently had a clear thought that I felt could be helpful to the MTT enthusiast.

When deciding what to do preflop:

FIRST analyze the situation as it led up to your action (stack sizes of players, what their actions most likely represent, short stacks at the table you know are just waiting to push and will fold WAY TO MUCH, etc, etc, etc.)

LAST Look at your two cards and make the decision that is best for your ITM/ROI% balance. :)

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
That's a great advice. Sometimes I realize that I am folding too much, because no playable cards were dealt to me in the last 3 orbits, let's say.
Then I think, "I am playing only my cards, when I should be playing my opponents too."
When I analyze my games later, I see that I was not 3-betting light in possible good spots, or that I did not try a squeeze when I should, or that I was folding when I should defend a big blind...
But that will always happen, because we are not GTO wizards heheh. It takes a lot of time and practice to master preflop.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a great advice. Sometimes I realize that I am folding too much, because no playable cards were dealt to me in the last 3 orbits, let's say.
Then I think, "I am playing only my cards, when I should be playing my opponents too."
When I analyze my games later, I see that I was not 3-betting light in possible good spots, or that I did not try a squeeze when I should, or that I was folding when I should defend a big blind...
But that will always happen, because we are not GTO wizards heheh. It takes a lot of time and practice to master preflop.
Spot on! I often try to identify the opponents at my table that are just playing their cards. I assume this often is due to over multi-tabling. ;)

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its an even split i feel, between the cards you have and playing your opponents. I usually look for week players that go all in all the time and pounce on them when my cards are decent.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I am sure that it is very good advice, although sometimes it is difficult to put it into practice effectively, I say this because many times we fall into distraction or fall into another player's game and everything ends badly

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, great advice! Your opponents and also often their ranges, depending on their position. The later the position the more likely they are on a steal and you can try and resteal.