to pair or not to pair?

sCATpoker

sCATpoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Situational to stacksize and other players. If you had a low to medium stack I would just throw them away and look for a better place and hand to play. No shame in folding any hand if it doesn't work for you , which I am assuming is the case hence the inquiry. If you had a large stack i would just raise the same amount you had been when you do play from early position. Then I would be looking to check raise anyone that bet a small amount after the flop, representing a larger pair. or a set. Just my opinion not necessarily sound advice but thats what i would do. but of course like I mentioned above (Situational)

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cheers guys, yeah ive yet to explore situational stats like fold to 4bet etc, but i suppose i could get a read from their vpip and 3bet% try and put them on ranges using their image....

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree it is situation based for me. A big factor for me is tournament stage. If I am jousting at the beginning and I have no info on a player then maybe I flat since I will have pos. post-flop. If it is later in tourney then I tend to pump or dump.....and typically it is dump.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm gonna agree that you're going to raise pre-flop. Like Frenzy said, you're going to want to limit the field. The perception of value from more players being in the pot is an illusion. One player calling a 3x raise is putting in the same amount of chips as three limpers, but with diminished opportunity for someone to hit a fortunate flop on you. I always raise 3x + 1x for each limper up to 5x. The only reason I might consider limping is if three or more players have limped in front of me and I don't feel like the size of the raise I'm willing to make with a small pair will be enough to make them go away.