Over confidence in MTT

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes get over confident in online tournaments and think i can outplay everyone. I remember when i was good at poker, i would fold the majority of the hands and play tight aggressive. Today i'm playing fold simulator to try and cure my disease. Do any of you feel the need to play to many hands and try to out play everyone?

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the table

playing all the tournaments in the best way, regardless of whether they are freeroll is the key, sometimes you have to play many hands, a few others depend on the table.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my friend, get well!poker doesn't like the weak.be healthy and strong!practice and analyze more.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mental Game of Poker

I sometimes get over confident in online tournaments and think i can outplay everyone. I remember when i was good at poker, i would fold the majority of the hands and play tight aggressive. Today i'm playing fold simulator to try and cure my disease. Do any of you feel the need to play to many hands and try to out play everyone?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

What you are experiencing is what Jared Tendler author of The Mental Game of poker books vol 1 and 2 describes as "Winners Tilt"

Here is a quote from his book #1 "Winner's tilt is caused by overconfidence shutting down the thinking part of the brain. Confidence is an emotion and too much of it produces mistakes for the same reason as anger."

His books are excellent and everyone will benefit from reading them. Please do not read them if you are ever going to play against me though:D

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It does seem that you need to grasp the mental components of Poker - that is how thought patterns and emotions affect your playing. I would only get tempted to play a lot of hands if I know I am at a table with certain exploitable players. These might be ultra tight passives, or very loose aggressive players showing pure junk at showdown. Against both of these I will play wider hands (wider against the Tight Passive). If this is unknown, however, I will play fairly tight and keep track of what they are doing. If you widen up to take on these weaker players, be sure to tighten back up as different opponents arrive to your table.

Another element is to develop accountability. Keep records of the hand history and share them with competent poker players. They will tell you when you should not be playing certain hand and if playing them, when to fold 'em. A lot of mistakes can be corrected this way. It is the mistakes we keep hidden from others that have the chance to keep biting us in the butt.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the saying go's you can't win the tournament in the first hour but you can sure lose it.
You have to play your A game stay focused and stay in a good a game range like AT+ TT+ and ATs+ and you can widen it some in late position but not to extreme. by adding some suited connector and broadway combos. after that I would play it low key and site back and fold. That will probably help your problem.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that confindence is good to play poker but when you play with over confidence probably you lost more times than win. You need balance that. Maybe you have study more, restart and rise slowly.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in tournaments you have to pick your spots to play. If there is a couple of players that want to knock each other out with lots of preflop action raises them I tend not get involved unless I have a extremely playable hand.

J

Johnny Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Over confidence in MTTs

To have confidence in poker is always a good thing. But over confidence can hurt you.

I prefer to be humble and just focus on my game, skill and what I know.
Of course you need to have some confidence. But to have over confidence can really hurt you and get to your head.

It can hurt you by thinking you don't need to learn, don't need to practice or put in the work because your over confident.

Truth is no matter how good you are, every player needs to keep up with the game evolving or you will be left behind.As long as your confidence does not get in the way of that , then its ok. When it does your in trouble and will only be lieing to your self.