OSMB's Freeroll "Guide"

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Few things first so I don't waste anyone's time.

1. This isn't an actual guide on how to play a freeroll from start to finish. Sorry.

2. I do this on SportsBetting, but think it might work on BetOnline as well. Don't quote me on that, though.

3. You will need to have some type of BR to do this.

I have build a small $10 CC cash into my current BR of $85 on Sports Betting using the following 'guide' for the GTD freerolls, as well as cashes/wins in other MTTs.

Now that's out of the way, what this "guide" will explain is how to get into the later stages of a SB GTD freeroll with a decent medium sized stack with very little effort. You do this by taking advantage of the games:

-Low re-buy price
-Large add-on

Sports Betting has the following GTD Freerolls that run daily. All of the FRs include:

-1K starting stack
-2K re-buy. 4K double re-buy
-5K add-on

Each game has 10 minute blinds except for the $10 GTD Turbo, which I'll skip. Here are the GTD prize pools and their re-buy/add-on prices, as well as places paid.

$25 GTD
.10 RB/A
20 paid

$50 GTD
.25 RB/A
30 paid

$100 GTD
.50 RB/A
40 paid

$200 GTD
.50 RB/A
40 paid

$300 GTD
.45 RB/A
50 paid

The last 2 only run once a day, which is why I think they have a discounted price.

So, the guide for these games is as follows:

1. Enter a GTD Freeroll. Lets say it's a $25 GTD

2. When the game starts, manually click on sitout and auto fold. You have to do this because if you don't, the game will kick you for inactivity. You can close the program and you'll be fine as long as you clicked on 'sit out'. You only have to do this once at the start. Afterwards, even if the game sits you out, it won't kick you. It's great if you plan on using the laptop as the game will pop up in a new window whenever you move seats.

3. Set a timer to go off 2-3 minutes before the break starts. Not really necessary, I just do it because I sometimes lose track of time.

4. Relax or go do some chores for ~50 minutes or something. Go onto CC and make some quality post.

When the timer goes off. Log back on and you should be near ~400 chips left. For sake of example, we'll say it's 400 chips even. From here, and before the break starts you can do the following. [Blinds after break: 75/150/15]

-Wait a few more hands and take the .10 add-on without re-buying. This will give you a stack of ~5.2K or ~36 BBs/M: 14.

-Re-buy + Add-on for .20, which will give you a stack of ~7.2K or ~48 BBs/M: 20

-Attempt to double your short stack while taking re-buy + add-on for .20 and a stack of ~7.8K or 52 BBs/M: 21.

-Bust your short stack to double re-buy + add-on for .30 and a stack of ~9K or 60 BBs/M: 25

Obviously, if you can do the last one, it's the best as it gives you the biggest stack. However, like mentioned, it does require you to have some type of BR and BRM should still be followed. So if you only have $3, I wouldn't be doing the .30 double RB/A.

All stacks are playable after the break. However, stat wise, the 5.2K stack will be ~2K below average stack usually. The 7K stacks will be near average, and the 9K will be a little over average.

Another plus is that the field is greatly reduced. Usually as much as 70% of the field is gone and less than 50% of the remaining take the add-on. So, if the game started with a 2K players, after the break, there is ~600. 200 of those are severe short stack and/or sit outs. It's still a ways away from the money and FT, but it's a lot easier than going against 2K players.

So, that's the 'guide' of how to jump to the later stages of the Sports Betting GTD Freerolls and have a decent sized stack after the break. Please keep in mind that it's not a guaranteed way to make the money or FT as you'll have to do the hard work yourself. Understanding and knowing how to play the late stages of the game will be crucial in your success, as well as MTT luck. However, I think this 'guide' will make it a little easier.

As a side note, you can do similar in RB/A games by late registering at the last minute, then rebuying before the break starts and taking the add-on during the break.

Last edited:
O

ocbengtson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting strategy. I do a similar short stack play with FR's and low BI tourneys.
Basically I buy in when the blinds have the starting stack slightly higher than 10BB, and then do a basic push fold strategy, if there is a rebuy or addon I pretty much always take them unless I end up with some crazy 100BB stack or something, which is rare at best.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guide opened my mind to other horizons.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, its way better than playing from the beggining and re-buying a few times just to end up with about the same ammount of chips after the break