Once again i did it. Why can't I stop?

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once again i ended up going all in with top pair knowing i was beat. I had 10 J Suited spades opponent was tight flop came 54 10 I had top pair. so i bet big half pot he called of course. I than figured he has 54 turn came 9 no help to me neither was the river which i was now all in even though i figured he must have 54 for two pair. I was close he had pocket 4 so he had a set and wasn't going to fold just take my chips. I knew he had me beat but kept betting untill all in why do i do this and how do i stop it. Driving me crazy any one have wisdom for me? thanks

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Practice pressing the fold button. Even when you have the winning hand.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah fold button can earn a lot of money! Try next time do not throw your money away (often a wrong distribution we lose the entire profit for the day of the game)

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is the problem with Jack Ten

If you hit the Ten, you have a bad kicker.

If you hit the Jack instead, you have a bad kicker.

Dont put all of your chips in with top pair bad kicker.

Respect your opponents actions. Try not to barrel poor hands from out of position unless you have a good read on what your opponent has or will do.

Whats wild is you put him on a strong hand so it sounds like you need to learn self control and then look into pot control.

There's this action called a check that doesn't cost anything and its ok to actually use it some of the time.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you already decided to pay all just to see if you are bluffed or not you should also take note of every player you payed off just to know what to do next time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you describe is tilt. Its the subconscious part of your brain taking over. The cave man fighting the wild animal rather than the analytical part of your brain trying to make the right decision. A simple way to improve the chances for the analytical part of your brain to regain control is to slow down. online poker is incredibly fast, and often that is fine, but when we act fast, we tend to act per instinct. So force yourself to use all the time available before making a decision in a difficult spot, and while you are waiting take some deep slow breathings. Then maybe - just maybe - you can convince yourself to hate life and check-fold, when you know deep inside, you are beat, and that your opponent is not going to fold.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've fought this as well... the best thing for me (though still a learning process) has been to ask myself, do I really want to lose more at this point in the game? If the answer is NO, I've managed to fold more often. Try to remember that in this scenario, you KNOW you're beaten. You can feel it, see it, everything... so you are your own worst enemy in this case, and you have to fight the urge to press on, whatever is causing it, you need to recondition yourself.

Anyway, good luck in the future. I hope you're able to overcome this obstacle.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely get into those situations because I really don't often play J10s (unless from late position first to act.)
I don't know how OP got into this hand but assume that If 54 is in opponents range then it must have been a BB check vs limpers because 54 has no business in a raised pot preflop (well under very rare circumstances it could be but we'll leave that here).

Why are you even in that hand with J10s ?
Top pair / medium kicker hands are hard to play correctly - thus hardly +EV.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you already know your play was based on emotions. Some earlier posts in this thread have that covered along with some great advice...slow down. You knew you were beat when you were called on the flop yet you continued betting. The question you need to answer is which emotional response was it that took hold. A lot of what happened here had to do with the fact your decisions would lead to everyone seeing your hand at showdown. Did you want to prove that you large flop bet was a good play? Did you want to show you were a tough aggressive player? Or, what is also very likely, did you believe you were "due", that the game hadn't dealt you your fair share of luck?

As you can see answering your question is difficult because you are a very complex being with many moving parts :)