Ok, I'm done with MTT

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Guys pretty much shove only with pockets at this state, I knowed it, and only unless he/she has rockets (which is statistically super ultra rare ofcourse) I'm in huge advantage. I can't fold in this circumstances.

Hours of careful folding and bold betting... had gone down the toilet. Because game just decided that you should not win. Here you go - your first premium preflop hand in the tourney, best circumstances, finally an easy +EV decision in a while, what are you waiting for?!
What the point to tolerate such scamming, waste of time and nerves with mostly zero outcome when you can just go and play the cash where it would mean pretty much nothing. Or SnG at least.

What the point of MTT if there are more consistent disciplines?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MTTs certainly require a lot of patience, because its just the nature of those games, that you will have far more losing than winning sessions. The reward comes, when you finally get that top-3 finish and get your money back 25, 50, 100 or even more times. But if you are looking for more consistent results, yes then cash games or SnGs are more reasonable game formats to play :)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker wouldn’t be fun (except for a select few) if the best player always won the tournament. It’s the combination of luck and skill that makes poker so unique and so much fun in the long run—even if a single hand can be pretty darn frustrating.

I’d suggest trying to think a bit more in terms of odds/percentages. If we get it in with an overpair, we’ll be victorious over the underpair about 80% of the time on average. I tend not to watch the runouts, but when I do I like to flash the percentages in my mind because the keep my expectations grounded in reality. Treating it like we’re 100% to win when we’re actually quite a bit less than that can cause us to feel more “robbed” than we actually were if that makes sense. Hope this helps :)

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's yesterday's CC scoop 545 right? I was there, finished at 57th and I don't see anyone played that ''rockets'' poker even at that stage, maybe it was my table but I saw worse shoves and calls with trash hands. It was when one shoves with 9-7s UTG and another guy calls allin with k-5o at CO or SB against my pocket 8s.
And the flop came like 7-7-x, no help on turn or riverr then the guy won with set of 7s. I was in BB and down to somewhere around less than 10BB after losing big pot with set of 10s (kicker of oponnent was jack, mine was 9). So I had no chance but call.

I don't care if those guys are members of the forum or got leaked pws, but what do you expect to do with that play. Definitely no disrespect to anyone, nothing personal. Let's say you're in the main event, can you really make success just because of luck?
Anyway, good luck to anyone who made to the top 5!

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah but how did that hand go? How did you lose :)
Well i think you shold try to win more without showdown. And try to avoid al in situations and flips. The more al ins you get the more chances that you lose. KK vs 78 loses every 5th al in.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's yesterday's CC scoop 545 right? I was there, finished at 57th and I don't see anyone played that ''rockets'' poker even at that stage, maybe it was my table but I saw worse shoves and calls with trash hands. It was when one shoves with 9-7s UTG and another guy calls allin with k-5o at CO or SB against my pocket 8s.
And the flop came like 7-7-x, no help on turn or riverr then the guy won with set of 7s. I was in BB and down to somewhere around less than 10BB after losing big pot with set of 10s (kicker of oponnent was jack, mine was 9). So I had no chance but call.

I don't care if those guys are members of the forum or got leaked pws, but what do you expect to do with that play. Definitely no disrespect to anyone, nothing personal. Let's say you're in the main event, can you really make success just because of luck?
Anyway, good luck to anyone who made to the top 5!
Who says members are going to play well lmao
Even I bomb it once in awhile
ty Zorba:p

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’d suggest trying to think a bit more in terms of odds/percentages. If we get it in with an overpair, we’ll be victorious over the underpair about 80% of the time on average. I tend not to watch the runouts, but when I do I like to flash the percentages in my mind because the keep my expectations grounded in reality. Treating it like we’re 100% to win when we’re actually quite a bit less than that can cause us to feel more “robbed” than we actually were if that makes sense. Hope this helps :)

Exactly. But even so there will be sessions, where we lose most of the all-in before the river situations, even though we had 60-75% equity in the majority of them. We got it in preflop with QQ against AQ, and of course the A pops on the river sending us out of the tournament. Or we got it in on the flop with a set, and of course our opponent completes his flushdraw, sending us out of that tournament as well.

And if this gets to much, then the best solution for all those of us, who are not playing for a living, is to simply call it a day and stop playing. One of the biggest mistakes, people make, is, that they sit there for hours and chase after losses. They are not enjoying playing, and weather they are realising it or not, they are playing poorly, because they are suffering from tilt.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who says members are going to play well lmao
Even I bomb it once in awhile
ty Zorba:p

I don't expect perfect gto poker from any members, I neither play like that. I refer this to the guy who own this post saying \\everyone shoves with only rockets at this stage. There're 38 left shows in pic, so I was close there. In fact I saw worse shoves. Nothing wrong with it anyway, everyone enjoy their time. Also, there was higher enrollers than averages and I see today on new posts - guys complaining about non cc players. But I mixed the posts, so that my line out of point there.

I do gamble too mate, see you at tables one day.
And, no idea what do you mean by ty *zorba.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
How you play any hand at any stage is dependent.
It is +EV to play very loose against very tight players for instance.
You have to think in ranges. Plan the hand and try and work out how the opposition will react.
You have to know calling stations will call with trashy hand, and they do win some.
You have to know about elastic and inelastic ranges.
You have to know when Villain(s) see a flop, will they be using the nuts, strong draws weak draws, strong bluff catchers, weak bluff catchers and air.
Your KK pre-flop can become trash on some wet boards.
When a hand plays out be aware that an EP player will probably have a strong hand and may have connected strongly.
You have to be aware of the player(s) style who have acted before you and aware of the style of players who are to act after you.
Poker is a very difficult game. I'm a fairly good chess player and I find poker much harder.
A general rule is AA and KK win small hands and lose big ones.
Good players sniff them out and only continue when in the streets following pre-flop they are leading, because they have trips, two pair or a strong draw.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
View attachment 289336
Guys pretty much shove only with pockets at this state, I knowed it, and only unless he/she has rockets (which is statistically super ultra rare ofcourse) I'm in huge advantage. I can't fold in this circumstances.

Hours of careful folding and bold betting... had gone down the toilet. Because game just decided that you should not win. Here you go - your first premium preflop hand in the tourney, best circumstances, finally an easy +EV decision in a while, what are you waiting for?!
What the point to tolerate such scamming, waste of time and nerves with mostly zero outcome when you can just go and play the cash where it would mean pretty much nothing. Or SnG at least.

Tournament players are much softer than cash table players and that makes MTT's easier to beat than cash. But there is a lot more variance and the unpredictability makes them less convenient. You'll know why people play them when you win 1st place in one.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
View attachment 289336

Good day!
It's just a move, like there are thousands and thousands in poker. You need to be patient. Distance will return everything.
Good luck at the tables! :)

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd also like to add that if you're playing cash tables with a win rate of 10BB/100 and you lose 100BB in one hand then technically that's 1000 hands worth of work lost in one hand, 10 to 14 hours worth of play.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I became a platinum level CC member, I've got more experience of MTT's ITM phase. And I can tell that I'm strongly dislike it.

The beginning of MTT is fun, deep stacks give plenty space for skill and you good to go far.
Conversely, ITM phase with effective stack around 20bb forcibly reduce the gameplay to a fish fest. There is hardly any action beyond preflop, everybody just sit and wait for a broadway or pockets to shove, or limp and drumming all the way to showdown, playing their little fishy fit'n'push game. If you're trying to raise normally you either get blinds+ante and thats it or an insta jam that forcing you into a coin flip. And you have to put the results of all your previous careful playing on a blind luck to get your rewards. The favor of odds works 1/3 of a time at best, run overs is much more common. Unless of course you won't pull out the mighty "went to the restroom" card and find yourself at the final table ...Lame as hell.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I became a platinum level CC member, I've got more experience of MTT's ITM phase. And I can tell that I'm strongly dislike it.

The beginning of MTT is fun, deep stacks give plenty space for skill and you good to go far.
Conversely, ITM phase with effective stack around 20bb forcibly reduce the gameplay to a fish fest. There is hardly any action beyond preflop, everybody just sit and wait for a broadway or pockets to shove, or limp and drumming all the way to showdown, playing their little fishy fit'n'push game. If you're trying to raise normally you either get blinds+ante and thats it or an insta jam that forcing you into a coin flip. And you have to put the results of all your previous careful playing on a blind luck to get your rewards. The favor of odds works 1/3 of a time at best, run overs is much more common. Unless of course you won't pull out the mighty "went to the restroom" card and find yourself at the final table ...Lame as hell.

If you dislike playing with a 20-30BB stack, then cash games might suit you better than tournaments. Its the whole nature of tournaments, that blinds go up, and that the effective stacks therefore tend to become short. And yes this mean, that most hands are going to be over preflop or on the flop. Either because someone takes the pot down, or because players are all in. There is still skill involved in this though, since you need to know, which hands you can open, when to defend your blinds by calling, when to push, when to call a push etc. But for sure its more mechanical than a 100BB cash game.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you dislike playing with a 20-30BB stack, then cash games might suit you better than tournaments. Its the whole nature of tournaments, that blinds go up, and that the effective stacks therefore tend to become short. And yes this mean, that most hands are going to be over preflop or on the flop. Either because someone takes the pot down, or because players are all in. There is still skill involved in this though, since you need to know, which hands you can open, when to defend your blinds by calling, when to push, when to call a push etc. But for sure its more mechanical than a 100BB cash game.

Well said.

To whom you were quoting, Fundiver (killing_random the OP):

If you want to be better in MTTs, you NEED to be better with handling/playing <25BB stacks. FYI, I'm very comfortable just laddering up with my 15-20BB stack all game and then making my moves on the FT. :) It's all about knowing your low risk spots that you can use to tread water while waiting for your double up hands.

GL!

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard to say whether patience is a virtue, or not. Which way you come down on that determines your best strategy to try and win.

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DON'T EXPECT TO HAVE KINGS OR ACES AND WIN EVERYTIME. You're playing poker my friend. those hand DOESN'T have 100% EQUITY PREFLOP and POSTFLOP