Ok another point to ponder? Do...

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People who play the sit & go mostly go by gut instink or do they actually pay attention to pot odds? By no means to hurt insult or anything of that nature.. Just out of more curiousity and observation.. The more I play and especially read on these threads the more I learn. Anyhow the question becomes after pre-flop and you haven't made your hand but your close to the straight or even ace high flush. Do you mostly go with your gut or the pot odds when say per example pot has $300 in it and someone bid 3X the blind wich was $60. How about even on the turn? Ever since I learnt thanks to this site how to interprete and understand the pot odds, impiment them while betting. Yet on occasion go with the gut, yes it wins but I think my gut feeling loses way more than it wins :)

J

JonSherwood

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of Sit&Go's. I like them because they are I'm most prosperous, and you can win an ok amount while risking a fairly small amount.

I personally pay very close attention to how the other people at the table play. I play very tight in the beginning while people knock themselves out going all-in while blinds are still only 10-20, and then when there is a more manageable 6 or 7 people at the table I concentrate and try to remember how they've played in previous hands. It's won me a lot of pots. I play according to how they've played previously. If I've hit my hand but someone who never raises or does anything the least bit aggressive triples my bet, I'm straight out of the pot. If someone likes to bet on low pairs I'll make sure they're going to pay to do it, if I hand of course. I still don't go against them without a hand.

I don't know really how to use pot odds all that well. Maybe I should learn and it'd help my game. But I wouldn't really call what I do gut instincts. I count my outs, I know percentage for a few common things, like making your flush, straight, and so on, but most of all in a Sit&Go you've gotta pay attention to the people you're playing to win. Same with regular table games, but since we're talking about SNG's. ;)

Sometimes it's close though and you have to rely on your guts. There is not one poker player who hasn't gone in on a pot completely relying on their gut instinct.

Jon :)

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to save myself a whole lot of typing and just say ditto. I think Jon covered the high points rather well. Nice job Jon.

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also like the sit & go tourneys but you never know what style you'll be playing against. The last one I played in last night, all of us played tight and it got kind of boring (did come in 2nd though). The first one I played last night on the first hand I ended up all-in against a 5-4o - and the flop was 6-7-8 - thought about taking up knitting vs poker...