Numbers or bottom line

Jabbadanutz

Jabbadanutz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have recently come to the realization that according to the numbers I am good but not as good as I want to be. I can consistently beat .55-2$ range sit n go’s and tournaments but am a loosing player when I go higher. Do you except 20-30$ per day for 8-10 hours grinding micros or blow a bankroll until you bink one?!

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have recently come to the realization that according to the numbers I am good but not as good as I want to be. I can consistently beat .55-2$ range sit n go’s and tournaments but am a loosing player when I go higher. Do you except 20-30$ per day for 8-10 hours grinding micros or blow a bankroll until you bink one?!

I'm honestly not sure what you are talking about here - what numbers are you concerned with? BB/100? WSD? How large is your sample size? To know we are crushing a definitive stake there are several things we should be looking at when it comes to stats - and we need a decent sample size to confirm such a thing - realistically I think 25k-30k hands will give you a good general idea of how well you are playing and where your issues are.

Onto your second concern - its really difficult to hit a target number as far as a dollar amount per day that you want to make - why? Because in reality this is poker, and you don't win every single day you play. You might book multiple winning sessions in a row multiple times...but your day eventually comes. So I think a daily $$ goal is a bit unrealistic - shooting for a weekly goal is better- but personally I would set a bi weekly goal to grind towards. Helps me curb some variance and if I break my goal down into a "daily average" then it doesn't matter so much of whet happened on that single day, but how we finished up our two week session. I hope you get the point. Thanks for reading, hope this helps.

**EDIT**

This is in the tournament poker forum so my brain got lost for a second and the response above about weekly goals and such is geared much more towards cash players.

Noooow, that said - most of your days playing MTT poker are going to be losers - you may as well get used to that. It's normal and it's just MTT variance. I'm not going to ramble on a ton about what it takes to be successful at MTT poker but in a nutshell here goes ::

Discipline - a solid poker strategy and good BRM

Good Game Selection - don't chase the dream, chase beatable fields and prizes

Volume - in order to overcome normal variance you will need to play 100-125 games MINIMUM every month. It's just math.

Tracker program - so you cN review hands and study study study!!

Tournament poker is a long rough road where you have to focus on the play at hand - whether ot not it was correct - and disregarding the outcome as long as we are playing correctly. Setting daily goals with MTT poker is laughable, just extremely unrealistic - SNGs are one thing, but they are NOT MTTs - goals for MTT players should be on a monthly basis or higher - quarterly - half year - full year - you get the point.

Last edited: