Not very smart play

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will keep this short. Yesterday I was at the 3 hr mark with only two more people to get eliminated and I would be in the money for the first time in a year. (small money). I am sitting on 160,000 chips stack, easy money at this point right. Smart play just let it go until I reach the money round. I am dealt a pair of jacks, flop is 10, 9, 4 so I bet 10,000, get one caller. Turn is a queen the other person bets 55,000 of his 170,000 stack. Do I fold, nooooooo, I think he is trying to bluff me so I go all in, he calls. Yep he has a Queen. 10 on the river and I am out. I have been kicking myself ever since. Please feel free to remind me how foolish that was.:mad::mad::mad:

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Follow up, I just logged on the the poker site. Two people with less chips must have been eliminated at the same time because I did recieve the lowest amount of prize money. I could have done better. First in over a year, so I am happy for that anyway.

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What were the blinds, and what is your position and position of the caller? And if you are correctly bankrolled and playing tournaments properly, you should not be worried about cashing in tournaments and be focused on winning the tournament.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats!
I hope you repeat the same mistakes as few times as possible through the years.
Easy?

I

insaneiam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm betting weve all made mistakes like that. dont beat yourself up. you learned a valuable lesson and will then play again. keeping this little endeavor in the back of your mind for the next time your faced with a similar situation.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have peeled the river instead of shoving on the turn

if i missed the up and down on the river and opponent bets, i would only assume he has a Q because we are so close to the money bubble

the shove on turn was the mistake IMO

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You will have to overcome because mistakes happen, but unfortunately your strategy was totally wrong both after the flop and on the turn, well remember that fold is life, in my opinion you would have to be aggressive in the after-flop.:flute::icon_joke:D

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ridiculous call indeed, especially with the bubble approaching. However, you learn as you play, I hope you don't make the same mistake. Unless I am the opponent, then call please :)

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What were the blinds, and what is your position and position of the caller? And if you are correctly bankrolled and playing tournaments properly, you should not be worried about cashing in tournaments and be focused on winning the tournament.
The main goal is to win, yes, but you have set smaller goals along the way. One of which is to make it to the prize money. I lost sight of that goal.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was stupid. In this situation, the lady is a very dangerous card. Firstly cut above your, second board is coordinated, the enemy could be at two pair to a straight. On this board to call all-in with only one older couple really stupid.

T

Tk_Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Jacks are fish hooks and they will catch you every time. I hate jacks.. I once had pocket jacks in a cash game and made a set on the flop and then quads on the river only to lose to a straight flush to the jack.....it was a bad beat and I made $1600 but jacks still lost.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the blinds, 10k may have generated a speculative call.
I don't know what type of kicker he had, but a larger initial bet could have caused a fold.
Should he call, you have more incentive to protect the hand with a larger bet against the under cards on the flop. Also an initial larger raise and strong continuation bet probably would get credit for having a high pair and then causing a quick fold. Had he interpreted your initial raise as weak, he probably figured you connected with a low pair and then sought to hook you with the queen.

At any rate, 1/4 of his stack on the queen action is hard to interpret as a bluff.
Re-raise is certainly the wrong reaction. If you thought he was bluffing, a smooth call may have slowed him down. At least then, you maybe have the opportunity for showdown without investing anything more in the pot or perhaps a semi-bluff on the river should an ace or king hit the board.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Follow up to my follow up, I stated that I did win something, but as it turned out I was looking at the wrong line, my bad. But last night I did not make the same mistake and broke the bubble. Only won 45 cents but it was my first money in along time. I realize none of it is actually mine to take, it is only good to buy into other touraments, but still feels good.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dont worry about making a mistake. We all make them from time to time. Just shake it off and try not to do it again,

A

AxelJPB77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop

The flop is everything in poker can one have the best hand and the opposite the worst. And even then we lose :( Quiet usually happens that type of games, I think that the best in your case should have defended your cards from a Go to all.in.
But hey it's just an opinion, it depends a lot as we play and sometimes luck!:rolleyes:

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not enough information. Sometimes it's better not to look back and focus on the next hand.