Not Stealing or Defending blinds against shoves.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there any reason to this approach? Not defending or stealing blinds.

I see so many people defending BB with Q10o or the likes against a shove. Or shoving With A4S. It might work a few times, only to get wreck when they get called.

I am actually talking about myself. Just shoved in the SB with A4S with 14BB mid/late tourney with a table imagine of VPIP of 10. Ran into A8S, game over.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a balancing act ! You have to win enough pots to stay afloat in tournaments so sometimes you have to make close decisions on shoves or reshoves. I will say that just bc something is +chipEV doesn't necessarily make it the correct play.

GL out there finding that balance :)

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more chips you have the looser you can call of. So when it comes to stealing blinds I do not try to jam anything over 10bbs with marginal hands against big chip stacks.

As for defending, im all about the price. If im getting something crazy like pots odds 8 to 1 from the bb and I have 20 or more bbs im flatting with 72o. Anything with the price of 3 to 1 you need atleast 33% equity to break even, and in poker breaking even is not the goal. So I usually like to get a little bit better pot odds with my marginal hands when defending.

M

mikeajax15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more chips you have the looser you can call of. So when it comes to stealing blinds I do not try to jam anything over 10bbs with marginal hands against big chip stacks.

As for defending, im all about the price. If im getting something crazy like pots odds 8 to 1 from the bb and I have 20 or more bbs im flatting with 72o. Anything with the price of 3 to 1 you need atleast 33% equity to break even, and in poker breaking even is not the goal. So I usually like to get a little bit better pot odds with my marginal hands when defending.
True about defending wide vs minraises in the bb is mandatory. But 72o is just spew. Raw equity wise its maybe an call but its difficult to realise that equity.

For beginners i advise to add more suited combos when calling wider. These hands give more possibilities to check raise/ shove all-in.

Gl guys

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I see so many people defending BB with Q10o or the likes against a shove. Or shoving With A4S. It might work a few times, only to get wreck when they get called.

I am actually talking about myself. Just shoved in the SB with A4S with 14BB mid/late tourney with a table imagine of VPIP of 10. Ran into A8S, game over.

Like many things in poker it depends in the situation. QTo is a week hand and early in a tournament its an easy fold to a 5X raise but if its a min raise or 3x raise and there are 4 callers its an easy call. Against a very tight player who only plays big hands again its an easy fold. As for late in the tournament you shove with A4 in the SB was good but what type of player was in the BB. If the BB calls a lot you have to expect a call, if the guy is tight you have to expect to be behind when they call.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Like everyone said it is situational but the current trend is to over shove and over defend with marginal edges. I think it is completely ill advised but am thrilled that people play this way and I can often anticipate how they will react.

I have been saying for quite some time that the way people are playing the blinds these days and justifying shoving any two is often wrong, but exploit it while its happening.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like everyone said it is situational but the current trend is to over shove and over defend with marginal edges. I think it is completely ill advised but am thrilled that people play this way and I can often anticipate how they will react.

I have been saying for quite some time that the way people are playing the blinds these days and justifying shoving any two is often wrong, but exploit it while its happening.

I totally agree, I see hands going in like J5O in the SB, defended by K5O in the BB, like 2 orbits before ITM with a pot of 30 chips.

Like really you guys can't find a stronger range?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Some good comments here regarding situation and defending/stealing blinds.

I won't bother repeating what has been said...but...I run counter to classic poker thinking and in the early stages of a tourney unless my holding is strong (I mean really strong) I do not bother defending either my BB or SB. I drop the ego and 'allow' aggro players to steal. I am not getting dragged into silly pots.

I know I can regularly last a good deal of the field and find myself in one of two positions - either chipped up with room to maneuver or short stacked and then prepared to shove with any strong-ish holding in the SB and BB. It's amusing to find those who have regularly stolen blinds at the table raise you and then fold to your all-in shove (often with big blowsy raises). It's hardly sophisticated play but in my opinion the whole 'defend your big blind' philosophy in free rolls and micro stakes is somewhat ill-founded as people will consistently play back at you out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree, I see hands going in like J5O in the SB, defended by K5O in the BB, like 2 orbits before ITM with a pot of 30 chips.

Like really you guys can't find a stronger range?
*Laughs in 20 BB jam with J5s v SB's min raise open and running into AA*

I busted.