The not caring, i.e. the melt down thread

bmw1983kaz

bmw1983kaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it just me or do you guys get this from time to time?

I'm talking about a mental brain fart moments, I just had one.. raised up in the button, got 2 callers (I was short stacked, had 8 BB's) .... on the flop it went check, check and I raised 1/2 the pot, I missed the flop but there no high cards on the flop... I said to myself if I'm called - I will fold on the turn or check obviously, if I'm lucky........ what happened was I was called but instead of check/folding on the turn, I talked myself into going all-in on the turn, so so stupid/careless .. what was I thinking? I KNOW that I should have just checked/or folded to any bet on the flop, maybe if I held a flush/straight draw a semi bluff/shove would have been the right move. I suppose it's just a case of not putting yourself in any tricky situations, AND always having a plan and being able to ALWAYS get away from a hand IF needed, even if that hand costs you half your stack etc etc... I'm thinking my issue is leaving open the exit door if needed, often (like the hand above) I get OVER attached to a hand and put my self in these tricky situations... spots where I can and often do talk myself into 'making moves' that aren't there to be made .. I'm thinking.

How do you prevent melt downs happening? Any tips?

Last edited:
theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm talking about a mental brain fart moments, I just had one.. raised up in the button, got 2 callers (I was short stacked, had 8 BB's) .... on the flop it went check, check and I raised 1/2 the pot, I missed the flop but there no high cards on the flop... I said to myself if I'm called - I will fold on the turn or check obviously, if I'm lucky........ what happened was I was called but instead of check/folding on the turn, I talked myself into going all-in on the turn, so so stupid/careless .. what was I thinking? I KNOW that I should have just checked/or folded to any bet on the flop, maybe if I held a flush/straight draw a semi bluff/shove would have been the right move. I suppose it's just a case of not putting yourself in any tricky situations, AND always having a plan and being able to ALWAYS get away from a hand IF needed, even if that hand costs you half your stack etc etc... I'm thinking my issue is leaving open the exit door if needed, often (like the hand above) I get OVER attached to a hand and put my self in these tricky situations... spots where I can and often do talk myself into 'making moves' that aren't there to be made .. I'm thinking.

This happens to me, more than I'd care to admit. The problem is when it "works" we are reinforcing a bad strategy as though its a successful one. That allure of the all in button is part of it and for me its the "Oh yeah, well I'm gonna hit that raise with an all-in." Almost a bravado thing lol.

I think we can only hope to learn. At least I do!

bmw1983kaz

bmw1983kaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens to me, more than I'd care to admit. The problem is when it "works" we are reinforcing a bad strategy as though its a successful one. That allure of the all in button is part of it and for me its the "Oh yeah, well I'm gonna hit that raise with an all-in." Almost a bravado thing lol.

I think we can only hope to learn. At least I do!

I suppose there is a fine between having guts to make a big call at a key moment in the tourny and stupidity hahaha

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like a side-effect of burnout to me, remember to take breaks ;)

P

PuntinHundies

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Avoiding "meltdowns and brain farts" can be difficult. Try to remember to take breaks when you notice that you are getting distracted or not playing your best. If you are hungry, tired, or tilted from a bad beat, don't register for that next tournament or buy in to the next cash game. Instead take the time to recenter yourself so you can bring your A game to any table that you play at. There's always another game, no FOMO. (fear of missing out)

I would say that this particular case comes down to bad preflop decision making, and playing out of fear, instead of a willingness to do what it takes to win. If you have 10bb or less in a tournament, you have 2 options: All In or Fold. And as your stack goes from 10bb down to 5bb, the range of hands and the positons that you can move in from gets wider as well. Being the first one to go allin puts the pressure on your opponents and ensures that you will not have to make tough decisions post flop. You just want to make sure that you are doing it in a good spot (i.e. when it folds around to you in late position) with a hand that has good equity against your opponents ranges. Study your preflop shove ranges and move in with confidence that you are making the right decision.

The only exception to this rule is when EVERYONE is short stacked, such as the final table of a turbo structure tournament where the average stack size is equal to 10bb or less. In those spots it may be ok to min raise as a bluff and then fold if you face a 3bet or miss the flop.

Happy grinding
:2s4: :3s4: