Normal, Turbo or hyper-turbo

D

Danm98

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone,
I currently play Normal speed sng’s the reason for this is I tend to get in the money majority of the time whereas I find when I play turbo I start to make bad decisions I’m not sure if this is because I play very tight and I start to get down to 10BB’s then will start going all in with the top range of hands but normally get beat.

What is your preference of speed, Normal, Turbo or Hyper and do you have any tips for playing Turbo?

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They all require some type of skill set. The hyper has more luck than the rest I guess. SNGs and Tourns are more about how much you have in front of you related to the and blinds/antes than the cards I think.

I just try having fun and try not worrying about the outcome anyway. Losing is just part of the game.

Last edited:
ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I prefer to play the sit & go turbo, you have a greater margin of movement. On the other hand, with the hyper I think it's more about luck

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer turbo, I hate deep stack tournaments with too long levels where the blinds grow slowly.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill edges have more time to show in a slow structure, because you get to play more hands and with deeper stacks on average. So its completely normal, that a winning player will have a higher ROI in regular speed tournaments. The main argument for playing turbos is, you can play more tournaments per day, and sometimes the rake is also lower, which help the ROI at least a little bit. And sometimes you have little choise, because the turbos are more popular, so you either jump on a turbo or sit endlessly and wait for a regular speed SnG to fill.

To do well in turbos you need to become extremely familiar with preflop push-fold ranges, since a lot of the game will center around those. You talk about "going all in with top range of hands but normally get beat", and this sound very much like, you are getting to hung up on meaningless short term variance, which is just part of any kind of poker and especially tournaments. Even in regular speed SnGs you will also be all-in preflop with TT and end up losing to AQ almost half the time. You just get to play longer on average, before it happen.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it all depends, if i have an afternoon to waste i will play the normals but if i have only a few hours , its turbos

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the normal game mode better. But if there are a lot of players and there are few prize money, then I prefer the hyper-turbo mode.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always prefer normal speed in tournaments. On turbo there is already a different tactic of the game. The middle cards are already in for all-in.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Acceptable for me are Sit & Go and tournaments with normal speed, as well as with a smooth increase in blinds.