My new strategy on MTT when the blinds are low

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi dear friends, I would like to share with you a new Idea to adopt when blinds are low. Before to present this Idea, I would like to tell you that the phase of tournament when the blinds are low, is the most difficult phase to play, that why I made to many researches and I thought a lot to find the better way to play this phase. The other phases, I think are not complicated to play, for example when you are in the end of the tournament and the blinds are very high, you have to wait a good hand to go all-in, that's almost it.
So, my strategy is to call all the time with any medium or good hand, and wait the flop. There are too many advantages for this strategy:
1. Nobody will never guess what is your hand.
2. You don't take risk befor to see the flop (this is very important, as I explained in previous thread).
3. you don't lose your power to think every time, what shall I do? raise or call?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi dear friends, I would like to share with you a new Idea to adopt when blinds are low. Before to present this Idea, I would like to tell you that the phase of tournament when the blinds are low, is the most difficult phase to play, that why I made to many researches and I thought a lot to find the better way to play this phase. The other phases, I think are not complicated to play, for example when you are in the end of the tournament and the blinds are very high, you have to wait a good hand to go all-in, that's almost it.
So, my strategy is to call all the time with any medium or good hand, and wait the flop. There are too many advantages for this strategy:
2. You don't take risk befor to see the flop (this is very important, as I explained in previous thread).
3. you don't lose your power to think every time, what shall I do? raise or call?

You didn't specify anything about the position, so I assume you don't take it into account for your calls. It would also be interesting what is the relationship between your stacks and the blinds to adopt this strategy. Finally, how do you act in case someone makes you a raise behind of you and you are with a middle hand? Or how do you act in case you have something like J-10 and the flop appears 2-3-10 and someone goes all-in?

Daniel Negreanu's "small ball" strategy follows a similar logic. But to carry it out you need at least:
1- A table with intelligent players who do not raise and go all-in constantly making you lose your call.
2- The ability to read the flop and know when to fold. I have seen Daniel fold with two pairs in a dry flop because he sensed that his opponent had a third. If you are not able to do this, then you are entering swampy terrain boy.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi badia

the first part of an MTT is the easiest phase to manage because it gives you the opportunity to wait for the good spot without the blind taking you too many chips. you are more likely to come across fish that can not play early in the game. if you start I advise you to continue to play tighten at the end of the game because the wide aggressive game is a good style of play but which remains risck. you will need to touch your cards and especially to benefit from a very good reading of games for bet and fold at the right time. luck counts for 20% in a MTT at the beginning of the game. At the end of the game it counts for 60%. it is advisable to play with a max game to decrease the effect of the variance. I hope that this information and advice will be useful for your next games.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think calling with any two pieces of tissue erodes your stack. You have to be somewhat deep stacked to implement this strategy.

V

vini127

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I don't think thats a good strat when many players are doing exactly that. If everyone simply calls, you'll be playing flops vs too many players, and maybe your A5 top 2 pair will be too bad when a dude with 23off will flop a straight on a A 4 5 flop.

Later in the tournment you will almost always play Heads up hands, sometimes 3 handed, almost never 4 handed or more. And also you will never get called by 23 off, because of the high blinds value.

So, I rather play very tight in the first blinds of the mtt when everyone is so deep and the blinds are way too cheap, and lose it up when the blinds get higher.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This advice needs some salt, with a few delicate herbs, and a final dose of Pepto-Bismol.
I would definitely take a few of your blinds very early when i see you do that, and when i have the lead, i will be all in and you will be in a life or death choice, and you will choose to live!
and i will take more blinds... and then...
You will lose!

Last edited:
fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Vini is right, your strategy forces you to play 100÷ of your range in multiway pots, which will drastically lower the equity of your hands.

You should isolate your opponent where possible and play hands heads-up, unless you have already flopped a monster ofc.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Looks like you've learned poker instead of going to the school, playing cards instead of learning mathematics. With that "strategy" described in your post you will have a lot of difficult EV- decisions early in the MTT, too often you'll be risking big part of your stack having 3-8 outs against some made hand like pocket pair which is overpair to the flop. It's not eve Loose-Passive strategy, it's some sort of "Calling Station with Fingers Crossed for Luck" strategy..

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp/call pre all hands. Lead bet flop. All in river in case you missed everything. Pure money printing strategy.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Just play the early stages of tournaments when the stacks are deep like a cash game.

You must maximize what you win in your EV+ spots if you want to win the most in both cash and tournaments.

A big stack has a lot of advantages later in a tournament, and if you are to passive early on you don't give yourself a chance to build one.

Survival is important in tournaments but not the holy grail.

As the saying goes: if you want to win you must be willing to die (or a least risk dying).

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think the early stagez are harder why don't you just late reg the tournament? Just skip that hard part

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first stages of a tournament are the simplest, throwing your stack in that way does not seem the best, take into account that if you call all the hands that come to you, you will face players with much stronger hands and you must lose the chips almost all the time, this will reduce your stack and you will end up eliminated from the tournament or in a position with a very low stack for when something good comes to bet, if for you the first stage of the tournament is the most difficult I would recommend doing the opposite play only strong hands and be patient

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No offense but you are sort of reinventing the wheel. The early fase of a tournament, where stacks are deep, is pretty similar to a cash game, and thanks to online poker and modern AI software a lot of knowledge already exist about the optimal preflop strategy in cash games.

To make a short story, you should play the top 10% of your range from early position, and when it fold to you on BTN, you can widen it to 40%. Maybe a bit more in tournaments, if there is an ante.

You should always enter the pot with a raise, if noone entered before you, and if someone entered already, you should play tighter and mainly 3-bet or fold, but a few hands can profitably be called.

In SB seat you should almost always either 3-bet or fold, but in BB seat you can call quite a bit, because you are getting a price and closing action. Exactly how much depend on the position of the raiser, if there are field callers, and the size of the raise.

https://www.cardschat.com/news/cash-game-strategy-playing-position-84253

fenoz

fenoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this point there is another good tactic. When someone raises a little bet, and you have bad cards, you call. Then, if the flop is weak, even if you haven’t matched, you can bluff. An exception is a pocket pair in the hands of an opponent.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you basically want to see lots of flops for cheap and then hope to trap somebody with a monster. I'm not sure what games you play, but there are several problems with that strategy in the games I play. First, good players won't let you see the flop for cheap. They will be raising and re-raising, especially if they see you trying to limp a lot. Nobody wants to let other players into the hand cheaply if they have a solid starting hand. Secondly, just because you hit a monster flop doesn't mean you will automatically win somebody's stack. Good players won't risk their entire stack on an over pair very early in the tournament. Deep stack play allows you a bit more freedom with your starting hands, but you should still be pretty selective. The best early game strategy is to have a tight range that includes some speculative hands like middle pairs and middle/high suited connectors. Always (almost always) enter the pot with a raise instead of a limp. Loosen up as the blinds increase and the antes come into play. You will be able to bully all of the people who wasted chips in the early rounds trying to hit those monster flops.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's good enough to call it's good enough to raise 1 BB. Just sayin.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simply calling with all of your good hands and premiums is wasting money and value...you dont want to be calling with AK and going 4+ ways to a flop, that's just ignorant. This passive strategy will make you extremely exploitable and in all likelihood cost you more than it will make you in the long run.

Raise you premiums, play post flop accordingly and dont be afraid to lose once in a while...you cant win em all, but that doesnt mean you should be limping more either. Just my 2c

A

aashka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play opposite of what your table plays. If everyone is limping, punish them for their limps with you premiums even those middling premiums. This goes for first half of your tournament. Of course be careful in not doing it with garbage and just because 5 players limped before you.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Obviously, in the long run, such a strategy will lead to losses. But if you want to see for yourself, then give it a try. But let us know how your experiment is progressing. :D